Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Where are Screen.safeArea's defined?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lumoconnor, Jan 11, 2019.

1. lumoconnor

lumoconnor

Hi all,

I'm using Screen.safeArea to adjust the UI in my game so that it fits nicely within the screen on any device (including iPhone X with its notch and curved corners).

What I'm wondering is where the safeArea of a device is defined? Is Unity looking it up on each device, or is it hard coded in Unity for a number of devices?

The reason I ask is that I want to make sure that my code will work with all future devices.

Thanks!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's not hardcoded. iOS and Android P (I think?) have APIs that return the device's safe areas. Unity uses those APIs.

3. lumoconnor

lumoconnor

Excellent. Thanks for your help!