Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Whence "Place your phone into your Default Carbdoard viewer"?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by JoeStrout, Apr 14, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sometimes when I launch my VR app, I get a gray screen with a little animated Cardboard viewer, and the message "Place your phone into your Default cardboard viewer." And sometimes I can't get this @*#! screen to go away, and let me play my game.

I've searched my project for various bits of that string, and can't find it anywhere. Where does this come from, and how can I stop it?

2. Jonas_Sid

Jonas_Sid

Mobile Graphics Developer Unity Technologies

hi,

please check if Enable Transition View checkbox is false under Cardboard in XR Settings (Player Settings)

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It is not.

So what does that mean? (I hovered over it, but got no help tag.)

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

The worst part about this nag screen is, it only goes away if I turn my phone sideways such that the camera is on the left. But many headsets have the camera punch-out on the right:
    So even though the phone would be physically able to work in these headsets and get a camera view (which I'm using for ARKit-based head tracking) at the same time, it doesn't work just because it's stuck at this "Place your phone in the viewer" screen.

I feel like when the user sees the stereo view on their screen, they'll know to place the phone in the viewer without the reminder.

5. Jonas_Sid

Jonas_Sid

Mobile Graphics Developer Unity Technologies

we are talking about this screen, right? Enable Transition View set to false should hide it
    upload_2018-4-24_10-13-31.png

which Unity version are you using? It used to be broken and after quick testing it does look like it works correctly on newer versions

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, that's exactly the screen I was talking about. And I found the option you're talking about — it's under Player Settings: XR Settings, twist open Cardboard.

Thanks for the tip!

Attached Files: