Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When you cross a line when referencing to other game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomson92, May 26, 2019.

1. thomson92

thomson92

Hi,

I know developing game based on the universe which belong to the company that doesn't allow to use their products isn't legal but I wonder how much inspiration I can gather from this kind of games.

Here is a thing that I consider.

I would like to use the same defense, attack types and races that appear in warcraft 3. No more other references to characters, world or story. The only thing that I would like to create is a combat simulation based on the same rules that are present in wc3.

I know races like orcs, elves or humans can be met in any other games. Also armor types divided to heavy, medium, light and so on looks pretty universal. But I would like to be sure that this kind of combination where both, combat rules and races, referring to the same game, will not cross the line.

2. - logic is okay
    - names, characters, story are not
    - generic names (like orc, elf, etc) usually okay

not a lawyer, talk to one!

Antypodish and thomson92 like this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I remembered in Duke nukem 3d they had a hidden room, in that room there was a dismembered space marine from Doom, Duke said something like, that's one doomed space marine .

4. Tzan

Tzan

You cant use Hobbit.
    The D&D people got in trouble and had to change it.

5. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

It's better to read up a bit more before meeting a lawyer, as their time can be expensive.