Search Unity

When you cross a line when referencing to other game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomson92, May 26, 2019.

1. thomson92

thomson92

Hi,

I know developing game based on the universe which belong to the company that doesn't allow to use their products isn't legal but I wonder how much inspiration I can gather from this kind of games.

Here is a thing that I consider.

I would like to use the same defense, attack types and races that appear in warcraft 3. No more other references to characters, world or story. The only thing that I would like to create is a combat simulation based on the same rules that are present in wc3.

I know races like orcs, elves or humans can be met in any other games. Also armor types divided to heavy, medium, light and so on looks pretty universal. But I would like to be sure that this kind of combination where both, combat rules and races, referring to the same game, will not cross the line.

2. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

- logic is okay
    - names, characters, story are not
    - generic names (like orc, elf, etc) usually okay

not a lawyer, talk to one!

Antypodish and thomson92 like this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I remembered in Duke nukem 3d they had a hidden room, in that room there was a dismembered space marine from Doom, Duke said something like, that's one doomed space marine .

4. Tzan

Tzan

You cant use Hobbit.
    The D&D people got in trouble and had to change it.

5. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

It's better to read up a bit more before meeting a lawyer, as their time can be expensive.