Search Unity

When would we could have shadows for ios to feed ipad2?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by LumaPxxx, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

ipad2 is out and its gpu is very powerful.

I want to know is that means we could have more awsome features like shadows for ios ?:D

2. Curious

Curious

Hmm, that is a very nice question! Yeah, I guess we could have some sort of shadow shading on iOS but don't expect that much ;-)
    Games like Infinity Blade has gone iPad 2 already! I curious to know if they've implemented shadows or not!

Unity does not currently support shadows for iOS but you could add this feature through the use of custom shaders and then check for unknown device + the iPad resolution to make sure it's an iPad 2 (because we don't have a iPad 2 generation in current version!)

Good luck

3. defjr

defjr

No shadows in the Infinity Blade update. Looks like some sort of AA and a different shader on the characters. Probably higher res textures as well.

4. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

they just add specular in infinity blade for ipad2,

that is what already in the 3gs version.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

hehe yeah the ipad2 for infinity blade basically brought it back on fillrate power that the 3GS devices had but which ipad and 4th gen lost due to the high res screen and crap gpu ;)

Shadows are still pretty intense, on the other hand you always could do shadows. The character shadow shader from the unifycommunity for example worked since U3 beta with some minor updates.

6. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

They increased the textrure, for diffuse and lightmaps.

7. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

i tried both character shadow and Shadow Volumes in Alpha,but none of them could instead the original shadow.......

Shadow Volumes in Alpha could not used for a skinned mesh with animation.

Character Shadow couldn't do self shadow......

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. ugur

ugur

I´m not sure full blown shadows would run fine but sure, it would be nice =)
    What i´d look much more forward to though would be support for dxt compression. That would change a lot.