Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When will we get access to a release of the Spline package?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by atranson, Jul 15, 2020.

1. atranson

atranson

Since the the roadmap video in March, I have been waiting for an update on a potential release data of the Spline package (even if it is marked as preview) but it seems that no more information has been shared for a while.

Since I have been struggling to find a spline plugin that fits my needs, I have started to postpone the development of a few related features with hopes that the official spline package would come along and unify this once and for all! :) That being said, I might need to reconsider depending on the actual release date.

In the thread following the roadmap, along with a few interesting details, @ans_unity had said that it would be released for Unity 2020+ (in this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/2020-roadmap-q-a-core-engine-creator-tools.852253/#post-5628856).
    Does that mean we have a chance to get our hands on it along with the 2020.1 release of Unity? If not, is there an ETA (even for a preview package)?

Whatever the date, I am excited for it as it is bound to be a basic building block for a lot of tools!

2. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

The new spline API will be available for 2021.1, not as a package as originally intended but in the Core Unity Editor. We have tested it with internal tools and are quite happy with the result! Since this will be foundation of many tools using splines, we are taking some extra time for stabilization to make sure we give you the best product possible.

3. atranson

atranson

Thanks for your answer!

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for something a bit sooner but I completely understand why you would need to take some extra time to make sure the API that goes public fits current needs while also providing a solid basis for the future.

We will wait for the 2021 roadmap video then ;)

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's a tough wait then, but makes sense if you integrate it tightly. Is there a current feature list available? Or some place where one can share requests and ideas?