Search Unity

When Will Unity 2018.1.f Be Released?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FGPArthurVII, Apr 24, 2018.

1. FGPArthurVII

FGPArthurVII

Well I've been keeping up with the beta program releases and I realized The Current Beta is 2018.2.0b1, what means 2018.1 is no longer under Beta phase and now Unity team is working on 2018.2 So, considering the pattern "b" for beta and "f" for full or official release other releases foloowed, since till now the only full downloadable version is 2017.4, When will we be able to download the full version (2018.1.0f1)?

Thanks;
    Arthur

2. Mauri

Mauri

Soon™

Peter77 and hippocoder like this.
  3. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

2018.2.0 beta doesn't have anything to do with 2018.1 beta, the release target is april. So somewhere between now and 30-4 if it is not going to be delayed further due to critical bugs.

I find 2018.1 still a bit buggy though, it is probably going to take some time before it is really stabilizing properly. Just like 2017.1.0 was terrible, and 5.6.0...

4. MostHated

MostHated

Every release is terrible. I should switch to GameMaker.

schmosef and hippocoder like this.
  5. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

5.6 was a drama with the new video player, lots of bugs on Android but for iOS it mostly worked. Even now recently a bug has been supposedly fixed for android.
    5.6 release of Google VR was a drama, 2017.1 it got fixed a slight bit, 2017.2 it finally got fixed somewhere.
    But then UI broke down along the releases. Buttons calling their methods multiple times equal to the amount of methods serialized, just peachy. Masks that suddenly broke down. Android couldn't build with gradle because GVR was getting minified and in the actual build it couldn't find GVR anymore.
    Oh the lots of bugs with GVR and Video Player... just lovely how that developed throughout the releases of 5.6 ~ 2017.x
    It was there but don't expect to release anything with it without bugs.
    WebGL development has a good history with things as well.

Unity is great when it doesn't contain so many bugs in the main components that a project should work with.

Yeah hopefully 2018 will not be a drama to work with. So far the light flickering when having both Scene and Game view open is very annoying. Right clicking a folder and the selection suddenly flips over to something completely different...

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Moved to General Discussion.

When will it be out is a common question and the answer is always "when it is ready" and if you want forum staff to answer it will be the same as the roadmap! As for stability, people need to mature as developers and use LTS if they are serious about stability. Word.

WHEN?
    https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

If you want a maximum-stable release of ANY kind you should
    be using any release tagged as:

LTS
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Anything else comes under YMMV!

MarkrosoftGames and angrypenguin like this.
  7. Amon

Amon

Unity just confirmed on a blog that the 2018 release has been delayed until 2020. They have admitted defeat in fixing a certain bug and have given up.

So, forget Unity 2018 and finish your game now. With the current release. Do it now.

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. XCPU

XCPU

There ya go, relief... :)

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Okay, but what about 2018.2? Is that coming any sooner? Got to get my hands on that sweet sweet sprite emitter for the particle system.

10. elbows

elbows

Have you tried it in the beta of 2018.2?

Also the first release candidate of 2018.1 is out.

TS_WL likes this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The bleeding edge releases are all effectively "Early Access" releases. It has always been that way. I'm not sure why developers here don't understand how development works sometimes with something as complicated as a game engine. It is simply not possible to test everything in something this complicated before release, let alone in the exact combination that your game will actually use the features. Every time you make a game in Unity you're literally the first person to use that exact code path within the engine.

Before, if you wanted stability you should have been staying a few releases behind on the latest patch build, but now with the LTS line there is an official recommended release for stability.

XCPU likes this.
  12. MostHated

MostHated

I am not sure why developers here don't understand how a joke works sometimes with something as complicated as sarcasm.

13. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Usually people denote sarcasm with ;)

There's a lot of genuine complaining on the forums regarding new Unity releases. Hard to tell the jokes from the serious ones :p

14. MostHated

MostHated

I said I should start using GameMaker, bro, no winky face required.

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Are you still being sarcastic?

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Because humans don't just communicate through words. We use facial expressions, gestures, and other non-verbal ways to better convey the message we are trying to say. Additionally what may be funny to one of us may not be to someone else.

GameMaker is a perfectly valid game engine with several well known commercial titles in the hundreds of thousands to millions of copies sold. If you're trying to use sarcasm I highly recommend choosing a game engine that has no valid use today. One excellent example would be A8 Game Studio.

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/index.php

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  17. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We have found some bugs though that are very easy to reproduce and that in no way is a unique code path. Sometimes I think we are the only ones using Unity

18. Balthamet

Balthamet

We have RC1 now so hopefully not too much longer.

19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Everybody moved to Godot already ;)

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  20. liortal

liortal

2018.1 is officially out