Search Unity

Question When will Transforms V2 API lock down?

Discussion in 'DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by DreamingImLatios, Dec 8, 2022.

1. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

When should we expect the Transforms V2 API to be locked down from breaking changes?

I had assumed they were locked down with pre.15 but comments since have suggested otherwise which surprised me.

bb8_1 likes this.
  2. jivalenzuela

jivalenzuela

Unity Technologies

I'm not aware of any new breaking changes. What comments were those?

3. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

https://forum.unity.com/threads/1-0-0-pre-15-full-dots-review.1366446/#post-8618991

And this post of yours also suggests the potential for such changes: https://forum.unity.com/threads/transform-system-v2-features.1371105/#post-8646225

I'm just trying to figure out how long I should wait and see if Transforms V2 is going to morph to solve my use case before I make the unpopular decision of breaking compatibility with Unity Physics. I know several people who have had success with Rival + DMotion.

4. jivalenzuela

jivalenzuela

Unity Technologies

Gotcha - there may be more changes coming, but I don't anticipate they will be API breaking. If, based on user data and feedback over 2023, it's clear we need to add new functionality, we'll prioritize making it additional and auxiliary to maintain backward compatibility.

All the work that I know we have planned as of today are all optimizations that shouldn't affect user code.

5. optimise

optimise

Will Transforms V1 still staying or it's going to be removed very soon before leaving 1.0 pre-release?

6. jivalenzuela

jivalenzuela

Unity Technologies

We're planning to remove it. I can't give a specific ETA but on a short-ish timeframe.

optimise likes this.