Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback When will the Package Manager be finished?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Marc-Saubion, May 28, 2021.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi.

As everybody, I regularly use the package manager but I'm facing a lot of recurring issues.

For example, I want to install Pro Builder and type "pro builder" which doesn't work because the real name is "ProBuilder" without a space and the search feature doesn't manage that. We need a fuzzy search feature.

To make things worse, I have to try that 4 times because there are 4 categories to search into. And every time I change the category, what I wrote in the search bar is deleted, so I have to rewrite it or copy paste.

View attachment 861772

I'm sure it's obvious to Unity's employees but for us developers, it's simply impossible to keep track of what asset goes in what category or what their exact name are.

Speaking of assets, I have more than 500 on the store and the manager doesn't have any features to manage assets. I'm looking for a favorite list, group import/install, icons and hard drive management.

This causes problems because I need to go through the AssetStore instead which will open the Package Manager who fails to open the asset on the first try.

We need a finished product. Right now, what we have is a featureless alpha that bloats our C: drive.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  2. And do not hesitate for quarter of a second because then the search will be performed and the search term will be removed from the search bar... I'm not too slow at typing and still type "o" instead of "odin" many times...

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  3. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Marc-Saubion and @Lurking-Ninja,

I completely understand how you feel when faced with these issues. I forwarded your comments to the team. Thanks for reaching out!