Search Unity

when will give the ECS

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by dreamerflyer, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

anybody knows?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

ECS is not intended to ship with 2018.1 officially. It'll be made available as an experimental package during the beta once a couple more bugs are ironed out in 2018.1 so it will work.

Ootgard, Nozynski, recursive and 2 others like this.
  7. Krajca

Krajca

@Alex-Lian can you specify with which beta this experimental package will be available?

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are aiming for sometime in february

9. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@Joachim_Ante Unless I'm mistaken, the new ECS was removed from the list of features coming to 2018.1 on the roadmap. Was it's inclusion there just a mistake or did you recently decide it wasn't ready to become official yet?

Some quick follow-up questions:
    1. Do you still except to release some from of the new ECS during the 2018.1 beta?
    2. Will we be able to ship things made with this experimental ECS package?
    3. When can we except to see other scripting enhancements like the new MonoBehaviour 2.0 (ScriptBehaviour)?
    Thanks for all your hard work and time on this!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    dreamerflyer, JesOb, Prodigga and 2 others like this.
  10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

1. Still planning to get a preview release of ECS that is built on top of 2018.1. It is C# code package.

2. Sure. It is preview software, so we make no real gurantees on its robustness, also we will very much change the APIs as we continue to work on the preview releases of ECS

3. We are not working on MonoBehaviour 2.0 / ScriptBehaviour. We are focusing on ECS.

11. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@Joachim_Ante Thanks!

I was a little confused about the new ScriptBehaviour thing, but I'm guessing that must have been something that was being developed before the new ECS came along? Because the latter would seem to make it pretty pointless now. So not focusing on it makes sense. Besides, I don't think any of us want anything to slowdown development of the new ECS! :)

Krajca likes this.
  12. Necromantic

Necromantic

Checking the Release Log of every beta release for a hint towards the ECS myself.

13. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Don't worry we will surely post on the forum and blogs when we release it. You won't miss it when we do release it.

14. BMayzak

BMayzak

I can't wait for this.. I've already starting planning out some components and systems so I can hit the ground running with a new ECS-based project

So very excited!

Beerfootbandit and Krajca like this.
  15. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

What will the migration from C# code package to internal system look like? Will I be able to just delete the package after some Unity version is released?

16. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@tbg10101_ Unity has not finalized anything yet, so the API will likely change a lot before it becomes fully stable and integrated. That's the whole reason it's being released as a C# preview package first. So you should be prepared for bugs and having to refactor large portions of your code between versions, until it becomes officially integrated.

17. SmilingRob

SmilingRob

Hey Unity Devs, I made ECSLight https://github.com/robert-wallis/ECSLight
    It’s not a lot of code, and allows you to make cool queries like:

canBeMoved = context.CreateSet(e => {
    // all entities that are 'movable' with a Position
    e.Contains<Movable>() &&
    e.Contains<Position>()
    });

That are updated automatically. I’d be super happy if the new system you make is really lightweight like this, and not heavy with a C# generator like *cough*entitas*cough* other ECS systems.

Feel free to integrate any of my ECSLight code in your efforts.

18. recursive

recursive

I'm assuming at this point it'll drop during GDC. Would be pleasantly surprised if it lands next week.

Enrico-Monese likes this.
  19. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

hippocoder and PhilSA like this.
  20. SmilingRob

SmilingRob

I agree, that's why it's only run once when a System is constructed. Devs should be re-using sets of entities, not trying to do the same work every frame.

21. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Don't waste your time and wait for UnityECS it's will be more optimized and will run faster:)

22. elbows

elbows

I agree about changes, including API changes, and we have already been told to expect such things during the first phase of public ECS availability.

However when it comes to 'officially integrated' and 'released as a C# preview package', I feel the need to point out that this modular approach is the new Unity way, and not just for previews of stuff that are labelled experimental. Yes these packages still rely on features built into certain Unity versions, but wherever possible things are going to exist as separate packages that can be upgraded through the package manager. So I kind of expect ECS to live on in package form rather than be completely integrated in the manner we were used to in the past.

LeonhardP and hippocoder like this.
  23. PhilSA

PhilSA

buFFalo94 and Peter77 like this.
  24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

My educated guess would be:

- Job System is practically released already with 2018.1.0 betas but would also expect final 2018.1.0 release this or next week (they expected betas to last till March 4th initially). By the looks of the remaining issues on b10, I'd put my money on getting release next week (GDC).

- ECS was told to arrive separately first and they've kept telling it will happen for 2018.1.0, so expecting to see github repo for experimental version with 2018.1 compatibility around this GDC.

- Burst will be most likely be released as part of 2018.2 as that has been hinted few times in past as well, so this probably just means we'll start getting 2018.2 betas at GDC (2018.2 is already on alpha).

SugoiDev and hippocoder like this.
  26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I am going to lock because Unity's CTO gave an answer and it's probably Soon™

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.