Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When was Entities out of preview? I thought it was 2019.3

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Shablo5, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Shablo5

Shablo5

With 2019.3 bouncing between pre-release and release on the latest version of hub, I thought I remember hearing at GDC that entities was out of preview with 2019.3

Was I wrong? Was something else coming out of preview with 2019.3 relating to DOTS?

2. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

Based on the roadmap talk, Entities 1.0 is coming out in 2020.1

MNNoxMortem and Kuptsevych-Yuriy like this.
  3. Shablo5

Shablo5

Thanks man. I love your content. You waiting for 2020.1 to resume your DOTS content?

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

IMO 1.0 release is just a milestone among others. Unity will keep on updating Entities package after it and the rest of the DOTS ecosystem won't be ready at 2020. So while 1.0 for the core package is important milestone to Unity internally, I don't really see it affecting most users as long as the surrounding systems are almost all in preview state still.

5. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

If I have learned something working with Unity - as much as I like it (and I am really happy with it), what they understand as "production ready" is ready for "a production", not read for "any production". Even after 1.0 there likely will be major changes, one way or the other, and there likely will be massive bugs - but less, or in more esoteric use cases.

I mean "Adressables" are "production ready" (1.1.10) and there are still problems with it, on a scale that was for us really a "we would rather not use that in production" (hint: we did).

But don't take that as a rant. It just means you really need to bring it into a sensible context when using it. Unity is a game engine and not usually used as the core for any high frequency trading application shifting billions of dollars around. Even really large AAA games get shipped with a huge amount of crashes, bugs, data corruption, so obviously in the context of games, it likely is good enough. Just imagine if your bank backend would be as stable as something like Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC launch :)