Search Unity

When to use [SerializeField] and why?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by vexe, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vexe

vexe

I'm kinda new to the concept of serialization - I read about it in the wiki, in stack overflow and in the Unity scripting reference - kinda gave me an idea - but I'm still not sure why and where would I use it in my game.

An example with some explanation would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

aymusbond, frost4mage and agconti like this.
  2. tylernocks

tylernocks

I am not completely sure but when I use it, it's to make private variables visible in the inspector.

For Example:

Code (csharp):
    1. public int Speed = 10 //This Wil Show In The Inspector
    Code (csharp):
    1. private int Speed = 10 //This Will Not Show In The Inspector
    Code (csharp):
    1. [SerializeField]
    2. private int Speed = 10 //This Will Show In The Inspector

3. User340

User340

Serialization is the process of taking an object in ram (classes, fields, etc...) and making a disk representation of it which can be recreated at any point in the future. When you apply the SerializeField attribute to a field, it tells the unity engine to save/restore it's state to/from disk. You mostly use serialization for the editor, and especially when building your own editor windows and inspectors.

For most games (especially simple ones) PlayerPrefs is sufficient for saving state to disk.

asig396, sawnch, AB498 and 35 others like this.
  4. jewelRana

jewelRana

[Serializefield] is just use for showing a private variable's value on Inspector. You can easily change the value like public variable. But None can access this value from another script or places.

honor0102, Jason210, GloCZ98 and 15 others like this.
  5. User340

User340

No, you can with the Reflection API.

harlandpj and BanzBowinkel like this.
  6. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

what is the point of even saying this, for 99% of uses cases if you are using reflection to get private members your approach is flawed.

7. GoodGuyPascal

GoodGuyPascal

Hey y'all, sorry for continuing the discussion :p but I just have to ask, what's the point of using [SerializeField] on a private variable to make it appear on the inspector when you can just make that variable public?

Thanks!

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If it's public any code can change its value, if it's private only special code like unity deserilizers or other code utilizing reflection.

It's more robust if external code cant mutate the object

9. baralianarmy

baralianarmy

Hold up. If SerializeField is used to make a private field appear on the inspector, why not just change the field to public instead? I am super confused.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just in case anyone else casts Raise Dead on this thread, restricting access to a variable or method by setting it to private instead of public is primarily done to minimize debugging effort as the fewer things there are accessing a variable or a method the less chances you can introduce a bug.

11. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

It's mainly for teams working on the same stuff, having something private means "don't modify this value from outside the class" or something alike, I work alone so there's less chance of that happening, depends on your work environment.

12. HermannOberth

HermannOberth

Also, even if you're not working on a team: you right now vs you in 2 years vs you in 4 years are like completely different people.

If you write some kind of app or game as a solo programmer and it isn't a throwaway project that you just write once and then forget about, then you will be presumably debugging and refactoring and extending it for the next 2-4 years. Future versions of you will appreciate proper API design and encapsulation done right the first time.

13. NathoSteveo

NathoSteveo

Entertaining thread : )

14. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Please don't. Necroposting is incredibly frustrating.

efge, OghamTheBold, Fenikkel and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.