Search Unity

Other When to use Economy and when to make a custom system?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by matronator, Mar 31, 2022.

1. matronator

matronator

I'm working on my first mobile game and am just about to set up a currency system when I discovered the Economy Service. So I'm currently deciding whether to implement a simple custom solution (probably without a backend) or make use of this package.

Since this would be my first mobile game, I'm not planning anything fancy like a multiplayer or more complicated stuff that would be difficult to do without more people working on the game. So I'm thinking the Economy package might be an overkill with too much overhead, but on the other hand it already has everything ready to use (currencies, inventory, etc) plus the IAP integration might be easier than handling it myself.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. FabriR

FabriR

Unity Technologies

Hi @matronator,
    probably a good place to start to see how you can integrate Economy in a game is to look at our samples. I think they can give you an idea on what it takes to integrate the package and see if it works for you. We had the same discussion with some first-time game developers that told us the samples helped them a lot, so they might do the same for you.
    In my opinion, implementing the package will give you benefit down the road, when you'll be able to leverage out-of-the-box LiveOps for your game.

matronator likes this.