Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug when scrubbing cinemachine noise doesn't show up but when pausing from timeline play it does

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by laurentlavigne, Nov 7, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

may be by design, not sure, it seems inconsistent

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Noise and damping only show up while scrubbing if you enable the Cinemachine Scrubbing Cache. You'll find a checkbox in the inspector for a Cinemachine clip. The cache is populated when you play the timeline, then when you pause it you can scrub back over the played area and see the actual camera positions, including noise and damping. This is a new feature with Cinemachine 2.6.

Note: if you are using nested timelines, then there is an additional step required to make this work properly.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I was referring to the inconsistency of behavior, I think there should be no handshake when stopping timeline play, whether it's after play or after scrubbing.

now cache doesn't work: bug #1291532 it introduces a problem: it changes the camera rotation for good, so subsequence scrub keep diverging the camera rotation

before:
    upload_2020-11-9_17-52-18.png
    after:
    upload_2020-11-9_17-52-1.png

here is the final result, which obviously i cannot use, so no cache for me

upload_2020-11-9_17-55-43.png

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

i turned off the cache and the problem now is that i cannot restore the camera initial position and rotation so the camera framing which i set to 0,270,0 is wrong
    it seems that cache takes over the initial condition, a bug

now i need to carry on with my work, which i cannot in such condition. so what is the button to control initial camera condition in the following setup?

upload_2020-11-9_18-21-28.png

upload_2020-11-9_18-21-35.png

upload_2020-11-9_18-21-42.png

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I'm having a little trouble following you. Cinemachine has no concept of "what the camera was doing before". Its job is to move the camera. I don't know enough about what you're doing to suggest a solution. Are you making a movie and animating the camera with Timeline/Cinemachine? In that case, you should have a vcam controlling the camera at all times, otherwise you need to animate the camera itself to fix its position when CM is not controlling it.