Search Unity

When is Unity 2018 coming out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Jan 24, 2018.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

When is Unity 2018 coming out? Just wondering. Thanks.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

In 2018. That's literally the only indication they've provided to my knowledge. With the current state of Unity 2017 I can't blame them at all that they aren't providing an estimated release date.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Peter77 likes this.
  5. yoonitee

yoonitee

Interesting. I wondered whether they were going to be like Microsoft and only change the date every 2-3 years.

IMO it should be named in advance of the year. Like version 2018 should be released at the end of 2017. Maybe on Christmas day!

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

That would only make sense if they intended to have a major release once every 2-3 years.

This would only serve to confuse people.

8. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

But then what is the point to change always the year of your title. Now is Unity 2017, then it will be Unity 2018, and then Unity 219. Why not stick with one simple name?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

We're not changing the title. We're changing the major version number. When we refer to "Unity 2017" we're referring to Unity's major release that occurred during 2017. Similar to how "Unity 5" is the fifth major release of Unity before they changed their version policy.

You can see this with practically every product on the market that announces a release number.

We do. It's Unity.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    wccrawford and angrypenguin like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The naming scheme has a benefit in that you can mentally locate Unity in the year. So you know 2017.1 came out early, 2017.2 was mid year and 2017.3 was fall. It's all rather straightforward from what I can see.

I haven't a clue when 5.3 or 5.6 came out, frankly.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's just a version number. It's not uncommon for software to use a version number that indicates when it was released.

TylerCode_ and Ryiah like this.
  12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I worked on a large enterprise web site once. The customer named it Website 2010. It was released in 2011 :p

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    landon912 and frosted like this.
  13. yoonitee

yoonitee

But it would be good marketing. Because it would always sound futuristic.

Instead now you will find people not downloading Unity 2017 because it's 2018. So it sounds like its out of date already.

I reckon if you changed the name to Unity 2019 you would get 50% more downloads. Guaranteed. Trust me I once watched 10 minutes of a documentary about marketing one time.

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

I think we all know how this community receives form-over-function.

TylerCode_, Martin_H and frosted like this.
  15. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

I'm personally cheering for Unity 360, Unity Y2K or Unity X.

Teila, konsic, Kiwasi and 7 others like this.
  16. LaneFox

LaneFox

Maybe one day we can have Unity eXtreme, throwback to the 90's.

Teila, TylerCode_ and landon912 like this.
  17. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

if working with Maya has thought me anything using a version that is >= then the current year is bad news.

TylerCode_ and mantekkerz like this.
  18. frosted

frosted

I laughed. Out loud.

Too real!

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity MAX feels left out :/

TylerCode_ likes this.
  20. Marble

Marble

What about Unity Plus? That sounds pretty eighties.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

An important part of marketing is to understand your target audience. We're mostly geeks here. One concept we throw at people to try to prove the tutorials are worthwhile is the Four Stages of Incompetence. When we have discussions it's not at all unusual to see at least one psychology term. Do you truly believe this marketing strategy is appropriate for us?

TylerCode_, Kiwasi and Laiken like this.
  22. LaneFox

LaneFox

If we wanted to be a little more modern go with slapping "Pro" on it.

Unity Pro right? Like, you're official now.

23. yoonitee

yoonitee

Unity Fusion Excelsior Triple Blade for a Closer Shave.

konsic and TylerCode_ like this.
  24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Isn't it time for Unity to keep it simple? Go back to its roots?

I think it's time for...

Unity One.

25. yoonitee

yoonitee

Unity Aka Really Just the PhysX Library bundled with Mono But that's Good Enough To Call it a Game Engine And if you Knew any C++ you Could Have Made your Own.

(Reverse Psychology)

TylerCode_ likes this.
  26. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

How about just lo-fi text editor? Unitype.

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That would be misleading. If I drop a text file in my project, Unity does not provide functionality to edit it. "lo-fi text viewer" might work though. :)

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity Zero challenges you!

TylerCode_ and AcidArrow like this.
  29. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

What do you mean by this?

TylerCode_ likes this.
  30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I suspect it's a reference to some of the bugs that slipped through, such as the every-UI-element-being-set-to-(0,0,0) thing.

TylerCode_ and Ryiah like this.
  31. tugacoder

tugacoder

Uni-T :p

AcidArrow likes this.
  32. Dalmazo

Dalmazo

Power Unity 2000

33. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Can't wait for Unity 2049. Every Camera will have a high-intensity bloom and orange/blue tint color-grading applied to it.

andrejpetelin likes this.
  34. I myself am waiting for Unity 2066.6 because then I just imagine how my game will look like and how it will work and in the editor, it will write itself.

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It'll be way fast as well ;)

36. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Should be out no later than December 2018 ;)

37. JohnBaker

JohnBaker

My guess is we will get a date during the GDC roadmap presentation, possibly an immediate release afterwards.

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It does not matter when it comes out. It will not be any more stable unless given more time. Things don't just magically become stable when they tick over the launch date. So if you are interested, download the beta - and use it.

When it is launched, the launch will have bugs. This will be followed by patches for a very long time to come. Meanwhile, the beta for 2018.2 will be available and people will be asking when that comes out as well.

Therefore my policy will be to lock these threads (inside of the beta forum, but not in general discussion) whenever they crop up from now on. "When it's done" is less stress on staff, less stress on users, particularly in light of the fact that nothing ever is bug free anyway.

Aside from blathering about locking threads and generally babbling about bugs, I'd like to remind people that Unity have some news about the whole bug/release/Package manager coming in GDC, which will eventually make the consideration of what version of Unity to use considerably less important than what package versions you use...

Peter77, Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  39. rainboww

rainboww

I wish you would spend more time improving existing features and the engine itself than to implement more features like the new shader stuff of the beta.

Don't get me wrong i think the new features are great but i feel there are quite some things to improve the base engine and the devs spent too little time on that.

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi, I am not Unity staff - I am a user like you that just so happens to be helpful (read: has no life) :) so I agree with you, I would also like them to improve.

I do have a better idea what Unity is up to at a given time (whatever staff want me to convey or share) so I do that. To this end, Unity has a lot of work being done but they're not ready to show yet, but I think it will be along the lines of what you want...

41. Murgilod

Murgilod

You mean like the particle system improvements we're getting? Or the 2D tools improvements? Or the fact we're finally getting physical cameras? Or the high DPI support for Windows people have been asking for? Or the overall performance improvements? What, exactly, are you thinking is going without improvement? Other than the terrain system, that doesn't count.

42. rainboww

rainboww

Well there are two things: The first is Light which needs quite some improvement and the other one are bugs and odditys like valid code causing crashes, nondescript error notifications in unity engine, the fact that unity does or did behave strange on bigger scales something about float points. I had often problems with not working buttons that work again after restart which consumed quite some time trying to debug. Also i feel when i update it was mostly because i hoped a particular bug was fixed. And then in the midterm i found usually nasty new bugs like the not working buttons that was new in unity 2017 i think.

A smaller less important wish would be to extend the comments to the inspector entrys a little and add more code examples to the documentation.

Essentially i wish they spend more time fixing bugs.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  43. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Have you checked out the HDRP which is available in 2018.1?
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/03/16/the-high-definition-render-pipeline-focused-on-visual-quality/

44. rainboww

rainboww

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

45. rainboww

rainboww

Has unity a "really" stable version? meaning all found bugs are patched?

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, and no engine in the world has that currently, sadly. But if you want the closest thing to it head over here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Nice question! I wish more people would ask difficult questions, they are fun to answer and everyone learns a bit more.

rainboww likes this.
  47. Ryiah

Ryiah

Very few if any programs are completely bug free. Your OS is definitely not one of them yet that isn't holding you back from using your computer (though you may find yourself yelling at it from time to time like I do).

hippocoder likes this.
  48. rainboww

rainboww

I dont mean completely bugfree but a version which was long time tested after release and patched without being completely out of date. I think maybe the lts versions in the link might be what i meant.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018