Search Unity

When is Mixed mode lighting going to be fixed?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by djarcas, Jun 10, 2015.

1. neginfinity

neginfinity

2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Yeah i know, which is why i use long time ago. What i mean is, it can be done and wondering why unity not just add static shadow baking system for light components.
    Even though yeah i admit i'm still not sure how to handle shadow atlas packing system,large scene and multiple light type.

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

4. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

It's interesting to note how many light probes they use. Up until recently, I didn't realize you could get away with using that many of them. There must be at least 1000 of them in the screenshot they show.
    Also, due to so many light probes placed high up from the ground, I suspect they have limited the usage of Lightmap static objects for the scene, otherwise the light probes wouldn't be needed that high up above the ground. (I think)

5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i think lightprobe is cheap and it safe to use high amount of probe for mobile

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

nah you should simply read the docs to realise probes can't be ordered in a grid.

7. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

You're saying the number of and/or location of the lightprobes they used was because they placed the probes in a grid pattern?

8. djarcas

djarcas

So, it's been like, uh, 13 months since I started this thread, and 5.4 is now out! yay!

upload_2016-8-7_21-36-20.png

It's still broken. I suspect Unity would garner a lot more goodwill if they actually weighed on threads like this a bit more, even if it's just "yeah, wow, it's broken, we know, we're fixing it."

Quite how broken something has to be to take well over 18 months to fix is beyond me...

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

When i see Unreal 4 coming 4.13 release , it shows the benefits of an open source engine with all people contributing and many people helping to fix bugs instead of waiting two years :p

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unreal 4 is not an opensource engine. "OpenSource" has a very specific meaning attached to it, so it is best not to use this term in conjunction with unreal 4, otherwise people will get confused.

11. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

FYI, our solution to the mixed mode lighting issue is currently being beta tested by a closed group. It should not be much longer before we have something to share with the rest of you.

shkar-noori, zenGarden and moco2k like this.
  12. zenGarden

zenGarden

Finally we'll get fast pre computed GI rendering with correct lightening on moving objects, this will be a great performance increase instead of using real time lights.

13. djarcas

djarcas

The response is appreciated as much as the work itself is. Thank you.

shkar-noori likes this.
  14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Any ETA?

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is beta tested, so after adressing major issues, it should be available in the next days i think or perhaps next week.

16. Ostwind

Ostwind

Closed beta testing usually means its months away from official release and probably not even in 5.4.x?

shkar-noori likes this.
  17. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Yeah this is mostly what i'm worried about

18. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yeah, my thoughts, pretty much. I'd be expecting 6..8 months from now or so, unless superpig or someone else from unity say otherwise.

19. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

Finally mixed mode for maximum performance :)

23. HolBol

HolBol

Hey, I'm aware this is an aging thread, but is there any news on this fix being in a main build? I'm running 5.5 and have just encountered this issue.

24. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, check out the Light Modes feature in Unity 5.6 which replaces mixed-mode lighting.

25. HolBol

HolBol

Hah! I was trying to avoid jumping up a version but if this fixes that issue I guess I'll have to.