Search Unity

Feature Request When is Burst AOT Support for PS5 / Series X coming?

Discussion in 'Burst' started by JJRivers, Sep 14, 2021.

1. JJRivers

JJRivers

Title of the topic covers the main question quite handily.

Obviously hard dates are rarely given for unfinished features but can we have a rough estimate when it's planned to be released? Use case would be higher performing Animations using the Animation Rigging system for a project that will be porting in 2022.

2. tertle

tertle

As far as I'm aware it's been supported for like a year.

sheredom likes this.
  3. JJRivers

JJRivers

So they just forgot to make mention of that in the package documentation?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

NDA prevents specifics in most cases, but they are usually visible on the dev boards for relevant licensees. Or rather, it just works already so no-one thought to add it.

5. JJRivers

JJRivers

There are quite a few studios where the games development team is not the relevant console licensee due to contract porting but will still need to consider the needs of the porting, such as what features can be compiled on other target platforms.
    Out of date requirements will potentially result in engine features going unused and slower adoption of new features and if writ large can even deflect projects away from the engine (this is merely one feature obviously i don't mean to come off as hyperbolic, just an observation that such things Can become an issue).

Any chance i could get some/any form of stronger verification that burst is indeed officially supported on both platforms somewhere?

Thank you for the replies so far both of you!

(Apologies @tertle i mean no disrespect whatsoever, i'm sure you understand that such details are rather crucial for a project and if possible want a slightly stronger confirmation.)

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity staff can probably confirm it without needing to touch on NDA since they can say what their own technology supports in hardware.

In this case, burst is most likely beneficial but you ought to get testing somehow.

JJRivers likes this.
  7. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

In the rush to get all the console stuff shipped in Burst, we just forgot to update our Burst documentation on the support. We'll fix this in the next releases of our packages.

If you head over the respective forums for the consoles I'm told they have information explaining where / when things are supported in Burst. But we'll definitely explain this better in our own docs in future!

JJRivers and hippocoder like this.
  8. JJRivers

JJRivers

Figured i'd post a thank you still, we've decided to opt to use Burst in our project for the noticeable gains from it.

About the second part, the whole issue was that since we don't have a console developer license, we don't have access to say PlayStation 5 forums (or if there is a way i have not seen anyone ever mention it) but obviously for porting we must make sure that the packages we do decide to use are supported on the target platforms still. Thanks again!

9. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

Firstly - we're always happy to hear from another user using Burst to make their code faster. Glad we could help!

Aye I hear you - I've done some PRs internally to update the docs (with the blessing from the respective teams here at Unity) - new versions of 1.4 / 1.5 / 1.6 should contain the updated info. PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series consoles are supported by Burst though with all the latest versions we of each point release we support. It was literally just an oversight in our own documentation (we even forgot to mention Apple Silicon support - so I added that too!).

hippocoder and JJRivers like this.