Search Unity

When does Addressable Asset System release?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by MarsZhouCN, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Hi!
    Addressable Asset System is quite easy and powerful for resources load and manage. My team is considering our resources manager system. We are considering to use Addressable Asset System instead of Asset Bundle .
    Is this version (0.3.5 preview) suitable to do the job ?
    When does Addressable Asset System release?

2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

The addressables system is a wrapper around Asset Bundles, so it is a way to use asset bundles, not something that replaces them.

3. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

yes , i know , thanks.

4. duartedd

duartedd

Huh whaaaa..it replaces it judging from the tutorial...when I assign a bundle to become an Addressable it actually converts it from a bundle to am address able ...that's what the Berlin conference showed off anyways....unless something changed there?

5. Havokki

Havokki

They simply convert the way the assets are marked for bundles. In the end they are still assetbundles.

6. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Yes, and i am now confused about how it is packed for building or resoure updating. the 'Content update workflow' shows we should find the addressables_content_state.bin to do this, but how does the bin file be created , Does it can only be created by build the player ?
    '

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Any answers?

8. unity_bill

unity_bill

We replace the previous asset bundle workflow, but under the covers are still using asset bundles. As to when we will be released, I assume you really mean "when should I use this in a production game?" Our answer for that is "if you are shipping in the second half of 2019 or later, go ahead and use addressables (and you can start using it now). If you are shipping sooner, you may not want to depending on the complexity of your use case.

-Bill

9. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Thank you very much, Got it. We will use it.