Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When does a script get recompiled?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by podperson, Jun 15, 2006.

1. podperson

podperson

I've noticed that there's an ill-defined lag between when I change a script and when it takes effect.

I can sometimes test run a scene once or twice before changes to a script take effect... Is there a way of forcing all scripts to recompile? Is there a way to see all compiler messages?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You always get all compiler messages. You can see while scripts are compiling in the lower right, the spinning icon. When spinning unity is compiling scripts.

You can force a recompilation by either saving a script. Or by hitting reimport on a script.

3. Morgan

Morgan

Yes, that little wheel is important! I didn't notice it at first either. Nor did I notice where the Print() output was going--I kept expecting to see stuff in the Console window but now I know to look down.

Related Q: I can't seem to get an external script editor working (TextWrangler). When I double-click a script in Unity, TextWrangler just opens a blank new document. Bug in TW or in Unity?

I've been just dragging my scripts from Unity to TextWrangler in the Dock as a workaround.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

It's a bug in text wrangler. The Unity 1.5 has a real builtin Text editor.
    Subetha edit and Text mate work great though.

5. hsparra

hsparra

Ooooo. Can't wait to see it :D