Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you update Visual Studio?

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by John_MSFT, Sep 30, 2019.

?

When do you update Visual Studio or Visual Studio for Mac?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2019.
  1. When I update Unity versions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Whenever there is an update of VS or VS for Mac

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. I've never tried to update / Didn't know that I could update

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. I prefer not do update

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. I occasionally check for updates

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. John_MSFT

John_MSFT

Microsoft Employee

Hi!

I'm working on the Tools for Unity at Microsoft and I'm curious how often you update Visual Studio or Visual Studio for Mac.

I'd also be curious to learn what impacts the decision to update. I want to learn more about this so we can improve the upgrade process between Unity versions and VS versions. If you're willing to help, please answer the poll and leave comment.

Thanks for sharing!

2. konsic

konsic

I would want one stable and robust tool to work with for 2 years without the need to update it.
    I prefer Visual Studio Code because it needs less space but I couldn't integrate it with Unity.

If you could add option in Unity hub install system to install Visual studio Code automatically after Unity instalation.
    So that it works with syntax completion and detection of Unity's words.

John_MSFT likes this.
  3. Korindian

Korindian

I update as soon as I see the notification in Visual Studio. I've never had a problem doing so, except one time where it broke a semantic syntax highlighting extension. With VS 2019, C# got all those options built-in anyway, which is nice.

4. John_MSFT

John_MSFT

Microsoft Employee

Thanks for the votes and replies. This is very helpful so far. Looking forward to anyone else who can help!

5. Novack

Novack

I update when consider it worth it. Be it that Im too far behind, or that some feature or fix is claiming my attention. Often blogs or announcements make the difference.

All the nursery stuff that IDEs are integrating lately in the form of "best practices suggestions", doesnt feel useful, but things like the recent compile-on-save, is an actual time saver!

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

New major releases are installed only whenever I have to reinstall Windows. Generally this happens every two to four years when I build a new machine. Otherwise minor releases are installed as soon as I'm aware of them.

7. sailro

sailro

Microsoft