Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When do we get HybridRenderer V3 ?

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by Cell-i-Zenit, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Cell-i-Zenit

Cell-i-Zenit

Hi,

There is every week a new post complaining about the performance of the HybridRenderer.

Iam at a point in my game where i cant really improve performance as the HybridRenderer is so slow in comparison that i doesnt make any sense to save 0.5 ms over like 10 systems if the HybridRenderer is taking 10ms anyway..

I always think "ok when unity releases a HybridRenderer V3 it will triple my FPS no problem", but now i wonder if this will ever happen..

Can we get an approx. timeline?

phobos2077 and charleshendry like this.
  2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Changes are part of 20.1.

It is both massive perf improvements, keeping all instance state persistent on the GPU.
    As well as supporting the full feature set of HDRP during conversion.

3. Sarkahn

Sarkahn

Any word on URP support?

phobos2077, Roycon, Radu392 and 5 others like this.
  4. Opeth001

Opeth001

Unity Team will start working on URP and ECS in the middle of 2020, they certainly have their reasons but that's really sad.

5. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

I was wondering too when the hybrid renderer gets further development since the changelog was only listing dependency updates for quite a while.

charleshendry likes this.
  6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Will this include HDRP DXR?

I just tried recent hdrp from github master and 2020.1.0a21 and at least there the DXR support is still nonfunctional on DOTS (things on entity world don't contribute to DXR reflections etc.

8. Enzi

Enzi

Oh this is cool! I wanted to ask this some time ago if Unity is doing anything like this when I stumbled upon this piece on reddit:
    Sounds very similar to me. Is it?

Anyway, I feel like this is the right direction. The way GPU bandwidth was and is still used is archaic and should come to a close with compute shaders.
    Can you give some thought how you want to manage dynamic entities? Best case in speed would be to have a small kernel running for game logic but that would require same form of API and framework and can be truly complicated within a game. On the CPU side things are easier to program for us but we'd still have the same bottleneck when 1 million entities move around.

If you know by chance, any news on custom render pipeline in HDRP? My guns are clipping through. :(

phobos2077 and Nyanpas like this.
  9. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

It appears something like this is in the works, but it looks like for now it is up to us to come up with a workaround.

From HDRP Camera Stacking Now Supported?:

10. linfuqing

linfuqing

Will Occlusion Culling be supported?

11. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Occlussion culling is also being worked on. URP is also making good progress.

12. Radu392

Radu392

Any ballpark time frame for the 20.1 release? Or at least what's the latest that the package will be updated?

13. optimise

optimise

Does the work of dots animation URP support for mobile phone already started?

14. Zec_

Zec_

Is the V3 rendering for static entities still based on the BatchRendererGroup? Or are you adding even faster ways of rendering? If so, will there be a public API for it?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020