Search Unity

When did everyone decide fishing and hunting is supposed to suck?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Not_Sure, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I vividly remember putting in tons of hours into Super Black Bass on the NES.

I’d pick a lure and poke, find a good spot, cast my reel, and tease fish into biting on my line. Then fighting with the fish trying to reel it in.

Years later Breath of Fire 3 had a very involved fishing game that involved the same with many more layers added.

Now fishing in games is find a spot where the water is splashing. Press a button and put your line out. Wait for the fish to hit. And press it again to immediately catch them.

It’s SOOOOO stupid and boring.

It’s basically a Gacha game.

Hunting is no better.

Most games I just trample along and deer come out of no where and walk right up to me.

No tracking, no stealth, no concern for scent, and no chasing them down after you hit them. Not to mention how you kill the prey has zero effect on the quality Im of meat and leather.

It’s like devs go out of their way to make it bad.

What gives?

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

have you played The Hunter / The Hunter COTW or the newer Way of the Hunter?

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Here's your problem. Most games aren't hunting or fishing sims. In many games those concepts are just used to dress up resource gathering. Which is fine for an Assassin's Creed or whatever, people don't play them to be hunting sims and don't want it to take hours to get some leather for an upgrade.

If you want a sim, buy a sim.

Socrates likes this.
  4. Socrates

Socrates

Because so many fishing mini games are terrible or are very different from the rest of the game they're crammed into? As an example, Stardew Valley is a relaxing game that doesn't require a ton of fast hand-eye coordination, even in fighting most mobs. On the other hand, the fishing game was more than my reactions could keep up with and I couldn't fish in that game without installing a mod.

For me, I think the much simpler fishing of waiting for a splash, pull in the fish, perhaps with a failure chance based on skill, is far more relaxing and enjoyable than a complicated mini game where I have to learn a whole new skill. Then again, I wouldn't ever play Bass Fishing Simulator or whatever. (Note sure that's a real game, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

joshcamas and angrypenguin like this.
  5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

In some cases, it's because the dev or devs are lazy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

Best video game hunting ever was Oregon Trail:

Yeah, that's the stuff!

7. pioj

pioj

Talk for yourself, the fishing minigames found in the Zelda series or Breath of Fire3 are the best thing ever!

There seems to be a current tendency to make things extremely easy for new players so the game gets a wider audience. Just make the game as complex and fun as you want it to be...

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Think it's perhaps over different studios looking to make different kinds of fishing, or hunting, in think was Final Fantasy 15 it was more added as a half - comedic stuff, or like a weird mini - game . . .

There are legit, or very advanced hunting, think also fishing sims, stuff was perhaps a bit niche even when the genre did the best, mostly because it's 200 % more fun to actually go fishing, and you never catch real stuff in a fishing sim, or the ' thrill ' of hunting an actual animal, or even the trophy - stuff, against big predators, land, or sea, it's perhaps not the same in a sim, none of my friends ever played the stuff, yet we knew it was there, it's a good question, think either resources gathering, or also hunting for loot, or upgrades, or so, serves different purposes in different games, or sometimes is added almost like a who-cares extra stuff, and for weird reasons that's how the industry operates, not sure . . .

9. Niter88

Niter88

Male urge for survival

10. Homicide

Homicide

Unrelated - sort of...

Short answer, when everyone decided their dominant hand had a new cybernetic implant they couldnt do with out. A Smart Phone. O,o I reckon around the same time...