Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

When can we stop manually fiddling with the packages file

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by liortal, Oct 6, 2018.

1. liortal

liortal

Many packages that are experimental require manual editing of the packages files.

When can we expect to have all the functionality needed in the package manager UI?

2. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @liortal,

It should definitely not be doing that, unless you were perhaps sent a "bleeding edge" package by one of our developers OR you're using an older version of Unity that wouldn't contain Package Manager UI. If this is not the case, then you might have encountered a defect, which I'm obviously interested in finding out more details about.
    • What version of Unity are you running?
    • What platform?
    • What package necessitates manual edition to run appropriately?
    • What behaviour are you seeing?
    Thank you very much for your help,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

3. liortal

liortal

See the latest blog post about performance benchmark framework on the unity blog as an example.

Also, I used to do this for the Addressables package, but maybe this isn't required anymore.

4. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

I apologize, @liortal, I see what you mean, you do need to change the included manifest.json contained in XRAutomatedTests-2018.2_0.1.3.tar.gz.

The file you're downloading from the blog post is not a package, but more like a "sample project" (or a tar'ed GIT release). Obviously, this is not a package per se, and does not contain a package.json nor is it parseable/updatable by Package-Manager-UI in its current form. I imagine that when XRAutomatedTests are ready as a package, we will be able to download the package and benchmark the performance of our game without needing to do any manual changes to the manifest.json like any other full package.

I'll see if we can clarify this further internally so that users are not left confused by this type of issue.

Let me know if you have more questions or if any reason I misunderstood your query.

Cheers,
    Pedro