Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug When can we expect a fix for the terrain tools memory issue?

Discussion in '2023.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

The terrain tools load all the heightmaps of all the brushes and not just the one that's currently selected in the palette. This leads to a quickly arising memory issue, you go up to 10 GB in no time, ie install terrain brushes into the project and click the terrain gameobject => out of memory.

When can we expect a fix for that?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Here's the incident: IN-21309

Something eating up all your memory for nothing isn't just a bug, it's a critical bug. Needs fixing asap.

3. ashtorak

ashtorak

Is this on the issue tracker? I couldn't find it.

I have difficulties especially with texture painting. It get's laggy sooner or later and then chrashes if I don't restart. I am not sure it's related to what you mention. It works flawlessly on pretty much the same project on 2022.2.0b3 while on 2023.1.0a25 and now still on 2023.1.0b1 it crashes. It's somewhat reproducible with a new project on my machine. Maybe I a file another bug report, if it's something different.
    I just got this message for example:

editor terrain memory issue.png

4. ashtorak

ashtorak

ok, after messing around more with a new project on 2023.1.0b1, I filed a bug report after it crashed, with the following text:

In a new project create a terrain and set height map resolution to 4097*4097
    Then click with raise terrain brush rapidly around.
    In my case it is laggy from the beginning and sooner or later crashes the editor.
    Might be system dependent though.
    I noticed that it writes in the range of hundreds of MB/s to the disk when clicking rapidly. It doesn't do this, when just clicking once and holding.
    I didn't see this behaviour on older Unity versions.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's something different. The bug I mention allocates the memory without painting.

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

7. Homicide

Homicide

8. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

What? Why not just leave this open and fix it later? Why close an issue that is confirmed? This is unacceptable!

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

From the latest alpha release notes:
    • Terrain: Enabled loading of brushes for the Terrain Inspector to now defer creating full-resolution brush textures until the brush is being used, making the Terrain Inspector faster to open and use less memory.
    https://unity.com/releases/editor/alpha/2023.2.0a8

11. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

Yeah, apparently "Close - Won't Fix" doesn't mean they won't fix it at all; they come back time to time to fix the ones that get more votes.

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

No, that one got 0 Votes. It's just that someone took the chance in a post to get attention for the matter.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023