Search Unity

When camera stacking for HDRP?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by sergiusz308, Mar 18, 2020.

1. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

2. Onigiri

Onigiri

Yes its planned. They are making new compositor tool for this

sergiusz308 likes this.
  3. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

It's planned for 2020.1 or later? As always, I understand that it's done when it's done, but anyway - which teach stream they're planning it for?

4. Onigiri

Onigiri

I don't know when its will hit release. I suppose 2020.1 if everything will be ok. In the meanwhile you can test compositor branch from github https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/HDRP/compositor Last time i checked it was working and i successfully made object rendered always on top of a scene. I can even made different AA and postprocessing for different layers so this is even better than stacking from built-in renderer and urp.

ftejada and sergiusz308 like this.
  5. ftejada

ftejada

Hi everyone!!!
    Excuse my ignorance @Onigiri , but although I have read the description on github, it is not very clear to me what improvements this tool can bring to HDRP ...
    Performance improvements? for example when having two cameras at the same time in the scene? now it's impossible to have them without totally killing performance ...

I don't know ... what improvements does this tool provide?

Cheers

6. Cookieg82

Cookieg82

Hey, Thanks for the link - it looks like it has been either removed or moved? The link is 404.

I wanted to give it a test ride. Guess the wait is on.

7. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Cookieg82 and Velo222 like this.
  8. Velo222

Velo222

This is great, I think this is exactly what I needed too. Trying to make a minimap for one of my games render over the post-processing with two cameras in HDRP was not happening.

9. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

I played around with it today and found that it does work, though it is tricky. Here is a hint:

The compositor is like a camera and it has to be set to a specific display number (use 1).

And now your main camera, and in fact all cameras, have to be set to unique display numbers that are not 1.

So every camera is pointing to a different display number, say 2 and 3 and 4 depending on how many cameras you want to stack. Use 1, for example, to be the "display" for the compositor to output too.

Having said that, I have been unable to get this stacking to work correctly with the built in UI system (UGUI). You can get UI to render, but that's just by directing it to the same output display. If you want something to render in front of UI (like say a 3D object "in" your UI) then things seem to fall apart and I can find no way to arrange all the pieces so that it works. I'm making a standalone test project to play with this more and see if it is a bug or not.

Velo222 likes this.
  10. Velo222

Velo222

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that. For my use-case all I need is for one camera that is rendering the post-processing effects to be displayed under another camera that is set to render the layer of a scene object (in the actual scene) above the post-processing camera, not on the GUI -- fortunately.

So I think, from what you're saying, it sounds like it might still work for me. I don't need to render anything in front of the UI (yet). Again, thankfully. As I have not tested anything yet, this is all speculation lol.

I hope at some point HDRP catches up with the URP/Built-in pipelines in terms of features.

Great info, thank you :)

11. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

You said you have one camera rendering post-processing effects.... I assume you have something in the scene that this camera renders right?

12. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@nsxdavid Link to the docs seems to be broken?

upload_2020-7-21_13-3-6.png

13. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

14. Camarent

Camarent

sergiusz308 likes this.
  15. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Yeah there is something strange going on with the docs. Even from that page, clicking User Guide is a bad link.

16. valarnur

valarnur

Should compositor be used for UI if renders text on top of the screen?

17. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, the main solution we recommend for UI is to use the after Postprocess Rendering pass on Material.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c....high-definition@9.0/manual/Surface-Type.html
    And if you need some blur you can use custom pass after postprocess

Compositor is a super set of Camera stacking see https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...-definition/Documentation~/Compositor-Main.md

It should bring some performance compare to using 2 camera, however, the compositor tool primary target isn't to do UI in game but to do compositing for non game application. Still if it fit into your frame budget you can use it.

Doc isn't puslish yet but as pointed by others there is this:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ition/Documentation~/Compositor-User-Guide.md

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ion/Documentation~/Compositor-User-Options.md

slime73 and valarnur like this.
  18. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Thanks for the update and summing it all up.

I don't understand though this quote - what do you mean it's not for game application? So, considering HDRP and XXI century we are all in right now (technology-wise), how I am supposed to achieve such a trivial and basic thing like first person view models rendering in Unity? As you know it has it's own nuances, like need for a different fov, shadows resolution, etc. - is the only option is to write own post-processing / custom passes for this?

19. valarnur

valarnur

Even in HDRP you can render first person objects with second camera and render texture but it's more performant to use ready custom pass https://github.com/alelievr/HDRP-Custom-Passes

20. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

21. Cookieg82

Cookieg82

This is great news! I have been waiting to stack/render a secondary camera for my FPS project. So now I assume the clipping will dissapear?

Will follow @nsxdavid little guide above.

Thanks!

22. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

I never got it to work with UI "layers".... you can overlay UI over the top but not composite something over that. Seems to just be a bug, I think.

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any way to control the order in which cameras render, e.g. render first a reflect camera and then the main one ?

Thanks