Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

When C# Replaces Typescript how will we debug?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by TheRoccoB, Dec 11, 2018.

1. TheRoccoB

TheRoccoB

Great job on the preview launch! I love the fast iteration times to the browser, and I'm really looking forward to a built-in auto-reload.

One problem with the WebGL target was very limited debugging capabilities after compilation. I noticed that right now the Typescript code seems to be in mostly-readable format in my browser's developer tools.

When you make the switchover to C#, what is the plan for debugging? Will there be some kind of source-mapping from WASM back to C#?

Thanks!

2. orb

orb

When they switch to C# it'll hopefully be a moot point, as then we might be running the Tiny project directly in the engine while testing. The exported code will be pointless to debug once they make that switch, so that's at least what seems most reasonable.

3. etienne_unity

etienne_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @TheRoccoB and @orb

At first you'll be able to debug C# builds natively on PC (as orb hinted), but we're also working on a C# soft debugger implementation for browsers that support WebAssembly and threads. You'll be able to debug C# by attaching your IDE to a running development build in supported browsers.

Also, from C#, you'll be able to PInvoke JavaScript. In this context you'll then have to use you browser dev tools to debug.

We're looking for feedback on this workflow, so if you have any concerns please let us know!

4. orb

orb

You give us everything, basically? I think people will like that.

5. TheRoccoB

TheRoccoB

Cool, that sounds like a good workflow! Looking forward to it.

I'm actually mostly a web programmer by trade, so enjoying the Typescript at the moment :). Too bad it won't stick around, but I understand how C# will better fit into the entire ecosystem.