Search Unity

When and why to use Animation.Play() ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by rahulnaik9010, Aug 28, 2020.

1. rahulnaik9010

rahulnaik9010

Hey guys!
    Is there any disadvantage of using Animator.Play() ? Instead of using triggers,booleans why can't i simply use Animator.Play() ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Triggers and booleans are for manipulating the state machine of an animator.

Animation.play and Animator.play are also different things. But i believe animator.play pretty much does an end-run around the state machine and forces a particular animation to play directly. It won't obey the rules of transitions etc like the other methods do.

eses likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Animation.Play will simply play an animation, but if you use an Animator to control your animations instead then you can set-up transitions between each animation state and it will smoothly blend between them.

4. StarManta

StarManta

One note: It's important to recognize the difference between the Animation and Animator classes. Animator is the modern system, and Animation is the legacy system, no longer maintained. If you're not working on a project that dates back to 2014ish, don't use Animation.

5. rahulnaik9010

rahulnaik9010

Hey I changed the question....Thanks

6. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Nobody is stopping you. You just won't get the benefits of the state machine controlling transitions etc.