Search Unity

When adding a project, forced to choose Creative Commons or Public Domain.

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by Chris-Clark, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Chris-Clark

Chris-Clark

There is no option to retain full copyright or the original license.

Many people will never be able to show off their own work if it was created with others or for another company and they are unable to change the licence.

Or even be able to retain the original licence they wanted it under.

Malicjusz likes this.
  2. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Chris,

Thanks for using Connect! Licensing is tricky - we'll look into this and try to come up with something more appropriate for all users.

Malicjusz and Chris-Clark like this.
  3. generatedname

generatedname

This prevented me from finishing my project listing. I used licensed artwork which can only be used in my game and for limited promotional material (trailers, screenshots).

It is very confusing as to what exactly I'm giving a license for and this has made me question my whole understanding of what Unity Connect is trying to be.

Am I setting a license for the images and videos that I upload for the project's page to be used by anyone under the selected creative commons or public domain license?

Am I offering the whole project; source code, artwork, sounds?

How is my project being used by the website and others on the website? Initially it seems like I am building a portfolio of my work, but assigning licenses throws off that concept.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Malicjusz likes this.
  4. poke50uk

poke50uk

Wow, ditto on this. I was about to add our game to 'show it off', and in case we want any future helpers on it. None of the license options available makes any sense for our title. What are you trying to do with the projects we put up?

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. Why exactly does connect need a lisence to anything? The link to the terms and conditions isn't exactly enlightening either.

Just take the lisencing option out altogether. Leave a standard clause that the project owner retains all rights. Maybe with a clause allowing Unity to use the material in promotion of Connect.

There is no need for permissive lisences at all for connect to do its job. In fact it kind of defeats the purpose of using connect for commercial collaboration.

Malicjusz likes this.
  6. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Guys,

Sorry about this confusion. We are going to be added an option for "No Additional License". We were originally trying to protect you guys from people stealing you're artwork but we quickly realized there was no opt-out.

Keep tuned as it will be live soon!

Malicjusz and Kiwasi like this.
  7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Shouldn't the default be "No Additional License" -- like others are asking, why even give the option?

I would expect that exactly zero people will be posting projects with the expectation or understanding that anyone else visiting the Connect site can use the images for any reason.

Obviously we are allowing Unity to use the images on the Connect site. But it should end there. Why is there even options for something else? What is the intended use case?

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. Open source projects are rare enough that you can write it in the project description.

9. Malicjusz

Malicjusz

Waiting for the update with the licensing. It really is confusing.

10. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

At the very least, licensing is serious enough that it merits at least *some* explanatory text - clarifying that it is the project posting images and description you're licensing - you're not re-licensing the project itself :)

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Naphier

Naphier

+2 licensing doesn't really make sense in this context. This is not a distribution network.

Kiwasi likes this.
  12. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

If you're a concept artist or similar, it effectively is.

Licensing does seem to make sense, but needs a good explanatory text and probably should just have a default, with the rest of the options available through a foldout.

13. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Emil,

We're going to be removing it as its leading to more confusion than it's providing 'security' for users posting content. Legal advised that if the user wants to add a license there is nothing stopping them in the description.