Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question WheelCollider.motorTorque is not working as intended

Discussion in 'Physics' started by lapis_azuli, Aug 2, 2023.

1. lapis_azuli

lapis_azuli

normally i try to refrain from posting about my problems in unity and scour all over the internet and chat bots (like chatgpt) to find a fix for my problem, but with this case, i searched everywhere and no fix worked. chat bots were of no help either.

so anyway, im trying to make a working vehicle, ive got the suspension going, but now, when i try to set the motorTorque of the WheelCollider component (for the rear wheels), the mass of the vehicle body is set to 2000.

the vehicle does not move at all, but you can clearly see that the wheel collider component is rotating. ezgif-3-eb5af97a73.gif

wheel collider properties:
    upload_2023-8-2_5-54-11.png

if there is any more things i should provide, please let me know.

2. wideeyenow_unity

wideeyenow_unity

If ChatGPT can't help you, then there's nothing us mere mortals can do! lol, all jokes aside..

I'm not too familiar with wheel colliders, but is there a chance the radius isn't big enough to make contact with the ground? Kind of hard to tell by the picture, but it does look a little short.

3. lapis_azuli

lapis_azuli

oh hey, nice to see a quick response. anyway i probably should have provided more angles of the wheels, but yes they are touching the ground and were even far in the ground once when debugging and they would still not move at all. one of the things i have tried was applying a frictionless physics material to the wheels but to no avail.