Search Unity

Wheel Colliders Not Colliding?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by 455224, Jan 15, 2015.

1. 455224

Hi All,
    I'm very new to unity (matter of days) and have been slowly working my way through tutorials and learning extra JS to cover all bases! Anyway, after feeling like I have been doing well I decided to try something a bit more complicated and make a simple racing game, after multiple youtube tutorials I've pretty much got everything down except that the wheel colliders will not collide with the plane mesh leaving the car sitting on its box collider with the wheels submerged. I've tried all the obvious stuff like starting a car from a height and dropping onto the plane, making a concurrent plane with box collider, making radius of wheel colliders bigger than wheel etc. but none of it seems to have any effect!?!

If anyone had any ideas what I'm missing I'd be hugely grateful!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. A_never_kill

A_never_kill

Hi,
    Please find the link for basic demo of wheel collider.
    http://carpe.com.au/slawia/2009/08/unity-wheel-collider-introduction/

Thanks

hopeful likes this.
  3. 455224

Hi, Thanks for this, really good website. However, this was already one of the sites I'd referenced and all it says is 'attach the wheel colliders to an empty", which I did, but unlike his my car sinks into the ground.

Not sure if its allowed, but since the insert image isn't working here is a link to a screenshot captured during play.

http://pasteboard.co/mE3qU6g.png

Really hoping that someone has some sort of idea whats going wrong?

Thanks,
    Ross

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

your wheel colliders arent pointing down (the line that draws from teh center outwards).

wheel colliders should never be rotated

5. 455224

Thanks man, knew it was going to be something incredibly obvious i'd missed. I'm don't seem to remember rotating them though, guess it was the model or something?

Cheers!

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

yeah could be.

7. SplotDev

SplotDev

Then how do I rotate them back to their original position?