Search Unity

Whatta heck I was thinking :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rouhee, Aug 13, 2010.

1. rouhee

rouhee

Just looked code that I made about 1,5 years ago. Started to wonder, whatta heck I was thinking at that time. The code and logic were just terrible.

Ever got that feeling?

2. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

That happens to me with code a couple of weeks old. But it makes sense because I'm right on the steepest part of the learning curve. The worst part of it is that it's all code i'm using for my 1st game. So I gotta play along with the old code style and the new/improved style. I got a weird mix of procedures and naming conventions, it's like working with other coders, only I'm doing it solo :p
    In a couple of years i'm going to look back at my current codes and i'm going to say nigga what?

3. Kokumo

Kokumo

AJAJAJA, yes i got that feeling.
    I have almost 5 years of code on my back, and i can say it is not pleasent read my firsts classes. Fortunately i learned a lot and my code gets better everyday :D
    I think the most terrible thing i read was "redundant code"; looks like at that time the word "refactoring" wasn't in my dictionary xD!

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

haven't looked at your code yet, so I can't comment on that :p

*sorry couldn't avoid writting that ^^*

its common for me that later once I have deeper understanding of new materia etc that I question or wonder about my old implementations and decisions. Guess most people are that way at least those who learn new tricks, the others naturally not :)

5. galent

galent

Present and accounted for! :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :D

I've got too many years of my code that makes me cringe. Strangely, I find switching between enterprise java code and Unity scripts I end up writing terrible code, and having to refactor after each time I get something to work. I think it's the differences in execution models that scr*ws with my head. Oh well....

Cheers,

Galen

6. ackyth

ackyth

Few months ago was spining my wheels rewriteing my code agin and agin before I went with the flow and stoped trying to make my old code look as pretty as the new stuff. (Slow geting stuff done if your a perfectionust and still learning)

Got more done in last few weeks as in the last few months of back and forth.

7. fivearchers

fivearchers

I can't usually read the old code, so it doesn't really matter :)

8. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

I think that.

ALL THE TIME.

9. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

yeah, it happens a lot, i have some experiments from a year ago, and the code in them looks terrfying..

like a homage to spaguetti code hahahaha 8)