Search Unity

What's your experience with VSCode? What plugins do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Le_Tai, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I'm currently using Rider as my IDE of choice and very happy with it for what it is. However, sometime I just want to do some quick bug fixes, minor modifications, or shader works (that no IDE do well anyway), where I think the speed of a text editor would be nice.

After a short time playing around with VSCode (with only 'dimasalmaz.unity3d-pack' extension), I think its a very good choice for this, being a right mix of speed and features.

Long time VSCode users, what are your thought on the editor? Are there any quirks that aren't apparent when you started? What are your favorites extensions (Unity specific or not)?

To everyone, do you use a text editor to complement a primary IDE? Do you use it exclusively, if yes, why?

2. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I tried using VSCode for a while, but I just couldn't get it to be consistent across Mac and PC easy enough. I've eventually switched to using VS Community on Mac which I can make very similar to VS on PC.

There's one thing that annoys the crap out of me in all VS versions at the moment... For some reason someone thought it was a good idea to make control + click 'go to definition'. I always do it by mistake as well as there being an input bug that seems to get the control + click state stuck and I cannot figure out how to turn it off in any version of VS

3. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

For me Ctrl-click is pretty natural, coming from IntelliJ and Rider background. It also a popular shortcut for following link, so I guess that where it originate.

I never got stuck in ctrl-click, it might be a hardware/OS problem? Anyway, in VS there this:
    No idea about VSCode

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yeah VS had an option depending on the version of VS you have. But I haven't found it in VSCode or VSCommunity. It would probably be ok if it didn't bug out every so often and get stuck on until you hit control again.

I often use double click to select a token and then control c top copy, but i think my muscle memory means i hit control just as i'm doing the second click.