Search Unity

What's with the asset store Staff Picks and Favorites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UndeadButterKnife, Jun 14, 2014.

1. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

It seems, there are few assets that gets constant exposure from Staff Picks and Favorites. Latest example that I've noticed, is SE Natural Bloom & Dirty Lens. Since its release, it has been constantly on staff picks and favorites above all other assets. Thinking back on last month, I think I didn't see it on featured sections only 4 or 5 days at most. It was on Staff Picks for 4 days straight during its first week.

I bought it during the daily sale yesterday, and it seems like a good asset, but constant exposure it got puzzles me when there are dozens of new assets that gets released every week. I have nothing against the asset in question, mind you (I bought it). Just pointing it out as it is the most noticeable recent example.

I remember people mentioning stuff like this on Unity feedback threads, but no official response came from them.

I'm not an asset store vendor, but it seems a bit unfair to the other guys that put hard work on their assets, never to be featured on the store.

Am I in the minority that notices this kind of stuff? What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't asset store strive to bring diversity to its promotional sections?

2. randomperson42

randomperson42

You're right. I noticed that about SE Natural Bloom & Dirty Lens, among others. Another one that gets featured a lot is
    Skyshop: Image-Based Lighting Tools & Shaders.

I mean I get it, they're probably great assets that deserve to be featured, but it seems like Unity cycles through just a few popular assets. It would be nice if they would feature more different packs. And as an asset store publisher, I'm not complaining and I'm not saying that my assets in particular should be featured.

3. Acumen

Acumen

I have mixed feelings on this.
    On the one hand I'm really sad when my product is not chosen to be featured as regularly as others.
    On the other hand the AssetStore has been supergood to me and my partner. We have been on the frontpage twice, once on the release and once on the 24 hour sale and we were really honored to have this unique opportunity.
    This is something I still have to achieve in googleplay or ios world with any of my games.

I agree though, that in seemingly random cycles some "interesting" choices are made with some assets being shown for very long and/or with just short breaks inbetween. But it's not always the case, for sure.
    However this is business and not welfare. So extremely valuable and polished products that seriously expand unity's capabilities are bound be featured more often, depending on unity's short and longterm goals. I don't watch closely what conferences unity attends or exhibits their tools on a regular basis, so I tell myself sometimes what seems random to me is just a well placed business move by them.
    Maybe they just showcased their plans or roadmaps for this and that and therefore want to guide the flow of assetstore viewers to this or that product. Who knows....
    They are not needed to give and ever asset the same amount of well-meaning exposure. Some products just are more helpful, polished or advanced than others.

So, I don't expect them to feature my products for no good reason at all. I always question myself what can I do to get noticed, what can I do improve our store artwork. What can we do be improve our product that unity just can't overlook us.

4. Whippets

Whippets

Seemed to me, over the last few weeks, that all the picks and offers have been for things that will become obsolete in U5. Probably not, but seemed that way :)

5. randomperson42

randomperson42

Yeah, maybe they're trying to squeeze as much money out of them as possible, while they still can. ;)