Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What's with all the necro posts?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Deleted User, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I see some posts from a year prior appearing at the top of this board. What's up with that? The necro's are all from different users too.

Also what's up with this "open source" nonsense? I understand that some may want a project to contribute to or to learn from but I'm seeing two things with this UnityList search engine:

1. They're using the Unity logo without permission (and gloating about it) @hippocoder

2. Some of the results which I've seen appear to be others projects that they'd rather people not copy. Screenshots literally showing in all caps "PLZ NO STEAL".

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  2. mysticfall

mysticfall

I don't see anything but positive about people showing their interests in open source projects, or those who decided to spend their time in creating a search engine so that others can find open source projects hosted in Github more easily.

I agree that they shouldn't have used a modified Unity's brand logo, which is clearly a violation of the guideline. But I don't think they are doing anything more than searching Github with certain keywords, so it'd be unfair to accuse them of promoting content piracy.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

How should I put it...
    cc-by allows copying. Only attribution is required. So, it doesn't mean "PLZ NO STEAL".

Uploading stuff on GITHUB with "PLZ NO STEAL" is... well... a very dumb thing to do. Unless you're paying for private repos, all your repos are public, and other people are allowed to fork and study your repositories. They are allowed not in the sense that "they can do it", but in the sense that "you gave them this permission when you accepted github eula".

Meaning they can legally copy your stuff for study.

ALSO, if you want to report misues of logos, you should probably contact unity support or unity legal instead.
    And if you want to be a very nice person, then perhaps upon encountering such project you could try contacting the author and explaining them that one gotcha in github EULA/TOS.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.