Search Unity

What's up with visual scripting in unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iamthwee, Jun 14, 2018.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

So i tried uscript for kicks and i'm thinking why is this so hard to pick up? so is it the unity api or the dev's fault. because there is no way it should be this cumbersome. visual scripting in blender is a breeze and it is intuitive, which is saying something considering it is often tainted for being the worst ui for 3d modelling et al. So what do you think should be done to help noobs.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Is there a reason you're stuffing everything inside of spoilers? :p

Kiwasi and iamthwee like this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Cut it out. It's F***ing stupid.

Ostwind, orb, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  4. LaneFox

LaneFox

I think you may be in the minority in general opinion of things.

5. iamthwee

iamthwee

ooooh, anyhoo back on topic :D

6. iamthwee

iamthwee

IMO, i can whip out the ball roll in blender inside 10 mins, uscript not a chance in hell, prolly the same for bolt although not tested, so something is wrong, very wrong.

7. LaneFox

LaneFox

Good for you?

8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Actually, it is a very pertinent point wouldn't you say?

9. verybinary

verybinary

Why are you filtering your data to one specific vs option to prove your pertinent point?
    I have only used playmaker, but I like it. Its intuitive to the way my brain processes things, and as long as I treat it like code, I can do everything I have tried with it. And that is how I treat it. I can put logic together without having to worry about syntax errors.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  10. iamthwee

iamthwee

I don't necessarily disagree with that but don't you think the UX is just, well, terrible. What I wanted to work out is: - is it unity and exposing every function under the sun when using visual scripting or the way the devs have put this together.

I mean, not that I care so much, as I wont eva be using VS, but seeing the bad rap bolt is getting recently etc, I think it is worthy of discussion.

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

They're 3rd party tools. Unity isn't responsible for how those developers structure or design their tools.

If you have issues with those tools, take it up with the author's directly as it's not a Unity problem.

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Check out playmaker, bolt and/or behavior designer. You might have better/different experiences.
    There are also a gob-sack number of free visual scripting tools laying around that work in Unity. A couple on the store, similar to scratch.