Search Unity

What's Up With The 'Racing Game' Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by amcclay, Aug 30, 2006.

1. amcclay

amcclay

Hey guys.

Is the racing game tutorial still valid for unity 1.5? It seems to be written for an earlier version of unity. I've run into some things that appear to be errors, or steps left out.

For example, on page 19 section V it talks about applying scripts to 'AI Car' but there was never any step to even create an 'AI Car' - Obviously I'm assuming AI Car was just Player Car renamed, right?

Also, this same section says to save my scene in [C] Camera Control Scripts -> AI Car and Waypoints

Well, there is no such directory. ([C] is called AI Car Control in the actual .zip file) Am I supposed to create it?

Anyway, things seemed to be going fine until I got to the AI section. I'm just wondering if anybody has become stuck in this tutorial.

Thanks!

2. amcclay

amcclay

Just an update - after messing with it some more - I was able to get it working as expected. I was having problems related to the fact that my way points were set to high in the air and thus it was never meeting them.

3. terransage

terransage

I had the same problem with the waypoints, until I lowered them. Then it was a problem of putting the waypoints in the right place around the curves so that the little cars wouldn't crash so often. At one point I had the cars leaping high off of the "overpass" and landing on the far side of the track. Kinda cool, actually. I then created my own waypoint "track" that was just a plain with some hilly terrain and set up jumps and spheres and other obstacles. It turned into a demolition derby!

4. amcclay

amcclay

Cool! I can't wait to make a crazy track and send those things flying! haha