Search Unity

Question What's up with Pixel Art Blur on Zoom Out?

Discussion in '2D' started by SumGarlic, May 20, 2023.

1. SumGarlic

SumGarlic

I'm not sure how to fix this blured/added pixel issue. I've messed with the following to try and get my sprites to appear pixel perfect even from afar. The one thing that helped was setting my Canvas Scaler properly. Here's the list of things I've messed with (possibly incorrectly):
    • Canvas Scaler (helped)
    • Pixel Snapping - Enabled
    • Quality Settings for Anistropic Filtering and Anti-aliasing - Disabled
    • Mipmaps - Disabled
    • Import Compression - Disabled
    • Import Filter Mode - Point (no filter)
    • Pixels per unit on Import and Canvas - 32 (my art is 32x32)
    • Pixel Perfect Camera - It did nothing different
    I have the sprite in a button on a canvas. The button is scaled to 150x150. I'm not sure if that would cause any issues for a 32x32 sprite. Also, this could be helpful. I used Aseprite to create the pixel art, but I'm not sure if using the 2D Aseprite Importer would cause issues for importing. I selected sprite sheet and seemingly everything imported correctly.

Lastly, this could be the big mistake that I figured wouldn't be an issue. I'm using Unity 3D (2021.3.23f1), but I'm using canvas to pretty much build this entire game. I don't have plans on using the z-axis, but I wanted to have it just in case I decide to implement something that involves it down the road. Everything will remain orthographic and in a menu-like state otherwise.

I have some photos attached for reference. It's just a simple 32x32 dice sprite. You'll notice an issue with how the zoomed out photo shows something like 2 extra pixels being loaded on the right of the black dot with a little blur around the black dot's edges.
    closeupgameidea.PNG gameidea.PNG