Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the "UserSettings" directory?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I noticed Unity creates an "UserSettings" directory next to "ProjectSettings". This seems to be new in 2020.1. Any documentation about this?

brian-nielsen, sonnyb, Mikilo and 5 others like this.
  2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah we moved Library/EditorUserSettings.asset into this new folder.

The reason being, that Library should contain only imported/cached data that can be completely reconstructed from the project. People delete their Library folders all the time, etc.

But, parts of editor settings were in Library/EditorUserSettings.asset file (things like user's perforce connection settings etc.). So now it's in that new location. The folder should not be put into version control, since it's per-user things there.

See "Editor: Unity projects now have "UserSettings" top-level folder, EditorUserSettings.asset moved from Library there" in release notes, and mentions of the folder in https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html docs page

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you for the explanation and links!

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity's own collab doesn't seem updated for this yet and will probably include it....

5. Keepabee

Keepabee

Is it possible/advisable to create per-user settings (ScriptableObject asset files for example) for your own custom tools in Unity and store them in this folder?

KislunA and Daerst like this.
  6. Daerst

Daerst

AssetDatabase.CreateAsset doesn't allow this, unfortunately, but to me it sounds like a good idea as well.

7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Not officially at the moment, but hopefully in the future. In the meantime, we can still use Unity's internal API to place assets in the UserSettings folder:
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.SaveToSerializedFileAndForget

I've been doing this before Unity started using this folder name, but I assume they won't delete any files in there so it should be safe enough.

mitaywalle and yasirkula like this.
  8. Ziflin

Ziflin

@Aras It would be very helpful if Unity would allow the "UserSettings" folder as a valid location for ScriptableObject assets with maybe some guidelines as to how plugins should store their settings there (ie: "UserSettings/CompanyName/ProductName.settings").

Shikshen, Peter77 and JoNax97 like this.
  9. LiorBa

LiorBa

so... should the UserSettings folder be excluded from source control?

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

11. ModLunar

ModLunar

Actually, yes!
    I believe you can do this already, though I haven't yet delved deep into it, so apologies that I can't offer a more complete explanation:

You can create custom settings under..
    - Edit > Preferences > XXX (UnityEditor.SettingsScope.User)
    - Edit > Project Settings > XXX (UnityEditor.SettingsScope.Project)

See UnityEditor.SettingsProvider for an example.
    It's pretty lit.

12. Ziflin

Ziflin

@ModLunar - The SettingsProvider is used to basically register your settings and display the UI in the Preferences and Project Settings dialogs. It does not handle the actual saving (that you must provide). And Unity does not allow you to read/write assets to the UserSettings/ or ProjectSettings/ folders which is the issue. So to use ScriptableObjects to easily add new properties and get 'free' serialization, you end up having to make additional (non standard) folders like Assets/UserSettings/ and exclude that from source control also. This is quite annoying for plugin developers to have to tell users to do an additional setup step. And it can cause issues for those developing multiplayer games and wanting to test using a junction/symbolic link to the Assets/ folder.

This article describes our current solution, but it would be much cleaner if we could save to the existing folders. Considering this is such a basic feature for many developers, it would be great if Unity could standardize and simplify it.

13. ModLunar

ModLunar

@Ziflin

Ahh I see your point now! Thanks for clarifying.
    I suppose they expect us to use EditorPrefs, but perhaps you want shared project settings (in Git/version control), am I right?

We could do something like (just as a quick and dirty code example)..
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class SavedSettings : ScriptableObject {
    2.     [SerializeField] private Vector2 someSavedVector;
    3.     [SerializeField] private bool someSavedBoolean;
    5.     public Vector2 SomeSavedVector {
    6.         get { return someSavedVector; }
    7.         set { someSavedVector = value; }
    8.     }
    10.     public bool SomeSavedBoolean {
    11.         get { return someSavedBoolean; }
    12.         set { someSavedBoolean = value; }
    13.     }
    14. }
    17. //Save:
    18. SavedSettings save = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<SavedSettings>();
    19. save.SomeSavedVector = new Vector2(-94, 106);
    20. save.SomeSavedBoolean = true;
    22. string json = EditorJsonUtility.ToJson(save, true);
    23. File.WriteAllText("UserSettings/Example Save Data.json", json);
    25. //Load:
    26. SavedSettings load = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<SavedSettings>();
    27. string json = File.ReadAllText("UserSettings/Example Save Data.json");
    28. EditorJsonUtility.FromJsonOverwrite(json, load);
    29. Debug.Log(load.SomeSavedVector);
    30. Debug.Log(load.SomeSavedBoolean);
    Not sure how others feel about a potential solution like this though, but it works!

14. Ziflin

Ziflin

@ModLunar The non-editor (JsonUtility) serializer is not as advanced as the EditorJsonUtility one used for Unity Objects unfortunately, so last time we tested it, it would not work for what we need. I haven't checked to see if EditorJsonUtility supports the newer [SerializedReference] attribute, but JsonUtility seems to not support it (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-does-not-support-serializereference-in-jsonutility.975405/). There are a few other reasons why using a SerializedObject asset is nicer and it's certainly more consistent.

15. ModLunar

ModLunar

Ahh that is true,
    JsonUtility
    has "less".. I forget the details, but if you're making custom ScriptableObjects with
    [SerializeField]
    or public fields (ew), you should be fine.

I'm really curious about if
    EditorJsonUtility
    supports
    [SerializeReference]
    , that'd be awesome!
    I'm leaning towards yes, it should..
    Hmm ahhhh.. like Undo support, generic property drawer/editor GUI stuff, etc.?
    You can make a
    new SerializedObject(yourScriptableObject)
    at any point in your code, would that help?

I understand your struggle though lol. It'd be nice if something like this was built-in.

16. yasirkula

yasirkula

Totally unrelated but, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED THIS FUNCTION! I really wish I knew about this function before. Might I ask, how do you load those assets back? Does AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath work outside the Assets folder? (P.S. Looks like the answer is
    InternalEditorUtility.LoadSerializedFileAndForget
    )(P.P.S. I wonder what we are forgetting by using these functions :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    mitaywalle and Xarbrough like this.