Search Unity

What's the status on this?

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by PhilSA, Sep 17, 2019.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

Last release was a while ago, it's not yet directly downloadable from package manager, and it doesn't work with latest Addressables package

@karl_jones can you share some info?

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey. We are still actively developing it, working on it every day.

We have recived a lot of useful feedback, we decided that some core aspects needed a rewrite before we go forward so thats what we are doing now. Its a big change so the next release is likely going to be a few months away.
    There was a plan to do a talk at Unite next week and roll out a release then but we couldnt get a free slot, its a busy one this year!

We have not pushed to be public on the package manager yet as we still want to do a lot more work first, we already know what the most common requests are so theres not much point going any more public until we have finished those features.

Some info on what we have changed:

- Merged all asset table types into a single table - AssetTable. This table can now hold any Unity asset type.
    - Added support for Smart Strings - Heres an early preview https://twitter.com/KarlJamesJones/status/1172164381687320577
    - Added Metadata support for Locales, Keydatabase, Tables and Table Entries.
    This lets you attach additional information such as:
    • Comments,
    • Fallback details,
    • Preload details,
    • Font info
    • Locale specific component values(such as RectTranform properties for some text etc).
    • Etc
    Once we have support for external formats (Google sheets, localization file formats etc) then we plan to go public on the package manager. This does depend on another package that is not yet released though.(data pipeline)
    We want to be out of preview late next year.

I hope this helps. At the moment we are mainly seeking feedback, we dont want people to start using the package for production as a lot is changing. Once we go public in the package manager then the changes should be smaller and we expect people to start using the package.

dzamani, Sylmerria, MechEthan and 4 others like this.
  3. one_one

one_one

Hmm, intriguing, what is that?

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Data pipeline. More info next year ;)

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  5. one_one

one_one

I see :p

On a semi-related note: I installed preview 0.4.0 and two asmdefs have a dependency on the UGUI assembly. I couldn't quite figure out where to get the UGUI package from - any pointers there? Is that explained somewhere and I missed it?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It should be in the package manager. What version are you using?
    I would actually hold off on trying 0.4.0 as we have changed a lot. 0.5.0 should be out in the next few months.

7. one_one

one_one

I tested this in 2018.3. For now I'm only interested in LocalizedString and string table assets - will these change noticeably, too?

MechEthan likes this.
  8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes all tables have changed, for the better ;)

kvfreedom and one_one like this.
  9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Out of curiosity, how many people work on it?

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We are very small. We have some background technology that has some people in our Tokyo office (not sure of the number), the editor localisation is a few, the package is largely me at core with assistance from other teams for integration(Addressables, data pipeline, UI, editor etc). Then we have the usual qa, docs and reviewers etc. It's actually not that an unusual size.

Most of the work is building on existing and in development technologies so time is spent working with those teams to get things right (e.g Addressables).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  11. MechEthan

MechEthan

Thank you for the updates!

Please consider releasing a bare-minimum, "production ready" version that just supports basic strings (2019.4 verfied would be my dream), rather than pushing it out to the end of the 2020 tech cycle to support fancy stuff like "Smart strings" and Addressables.

Right now I have my own home-grown strings solution, and it's mediocre at best. =)

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We do support 2019.3 and the plan is to stick with that as our minimum. Next release is scheduled for around November 1st.

The whole thing is built on top of Addressables so we kind of need to support that ;)
    Smart strings are working now and they are optional so you can just use normal strings if you wish.

Right now I'm adding back in preload behaviour then test and documentation.

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

What are smart strings? o_O

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Peter77, zhuxianzhi, Havokki and 2 others like this.
  15. MechEthan

MechEthan

Awesome! The best of all worlds then. =)

Now that you say it, everything being built on top of Addressables makes a lot of sense... Thank you for the reply!

karl_jones likes this.
  16. TextusGames

TextusGames

Very good news. Thanks.

karl_jones likes this.
  17. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

Is this gonna work with new UIElements? I got really interested in using it for in-game UI, but I don't see how localization would work without a lot of hacks on the script side.

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We have had discussions with the UIElements team. It's on our roadmap but not available yet. We will certainly be working towards an integration though. It's still possible to do now but with scripts, hopefully not with hacks ;)