Search Unity

Question Whats the status of USD support?

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by sacb0y, May 24, 2023.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

This might not be the right place to ask, but just incase it is.

USD support has had a wave across industry software lately. Yet on Unity there hasn't been an update in years.

There seems to be some development just no releases, so what form will it take?

For me USD is an opportunity to hopefully seamlessly take my game scenes and for example produce CG renders or animations of those scenes in blender, and know those scenes sync up accurately lighting (for the most part) and all.

It also seems to replace alembic given assets like Marvelous designer are supporting it which is extremely promising for cinematics.

There seems to be some variance in feature support so information on this would. Be valuable.

mandisaw and saskenergy like this.
  2. BrunoL_Unity

BrunoL_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey!
    we are currently fixing up the current Experimental Package, the last release was problematic, we want to make sure any users already invested into it can be more successful with it.
    For long term solution, we are working on a new, robust USD implementation, the first phase being a powerful USD Importer (there's addition details here in the public roadmap) which is based on a new 3d asset import framework (Modular Importer). This is just the first step, the end goal is to make sure Unity users can contribute to USD based pipeline, through non-destructive collaboration.
    I unfortunately cannot share any dates, but stay tuned :)