Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the state of the Linux editor?

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by MartinIsla, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MartinIsla

MartinIsla

Good morning, everyone!
    I'm a Unity Plus user, make games for a living and Unity is the software that's always running in my computer.
    A month ago I decided to move to Linux knowing there is a native version of the Unity editor.
    I got everything working easily (Linux isn't the monster I remembered anymore and I'm able to play Overwatch with maxed out settings at 120 fps, same as -or better than?- Windows, so kudos to the Linux community!)

Now I want to know the state of the Linux editor.
    • Are people actively working on it, solving existing bugs and improving overall performance?
    • What's Unity's commitment with it? Will it stay forever or is there a chance of the project being abandoned?
    • Is there a roadmap publicly available?
    Please, don't take this bad, I'm asking nicely and because I really need to know for professional purposes. I sincerely value the fact Unity remembered there's a 3rd widely-used OS out there.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Skade88 likes this.
  2. Flavelius

Flavelius

Just chiming in; I'd be interested to know that too, since i'm evaluating switching to linux (now that win7 nears its end), and also need unity for work.

Skade88 likes this.
  3. mageaster

mageaster

Haha, noone have done for the promotion of Linux more than MS.

Sorry for the offtop.

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

The Linux editor is something great. I personally don't make games, but instead open source networking libraries and such. I only run Linux nativley on my boxes. The fact that Unity does offer a Linux editor is just absolutley HUGE to me and I am so thankful for it. But the state seems odd tbh, and I kindof understand it.

Here is my experience:

It's NOT as smooth as the equivilant ran on Microsoft's operating systems. Updates do happen, but they appear to be limited (though I am grateful for the new Hub port). As for the future, until we get something official. I would say it's sketchy.

As for anyone looking to switch. Let me put it this way. I like to play games from time to time. So I have a Windows VM running inside of Linux with a dedicated GPU for native performance (
    ). And I can just say that I have never even had to install Unity on the VM.

PixelJ likes this.
  5. MartinIsla

MartinIsla

It's really buggy and I understand, but it's been 4 years since the Linux editor first launched and some things could've been fixed in that time. That's why I'm concerned no-one is actively working on it. I face problems that have been reported in this forum months ago.

But hey, good news! TextMesh Pro 1.4 supports font generation in Linux now!