Search Unity

Question What's the relationship between AR Foundation and Vuforia Engine and ARcode/ARKit

Discussion in 'AR' started by leoahum, Nov 15, 2022.

1. leoahum

leoahum

Hi,

To start with an internet routine, I am new to AR with Unity. All these concepts start to bite me when I am trying to build a test piece. I understand ARcode/ARkit is for Android/IOS to operate AR apps, but no more than that. I don't know when build an app how that will affect the build, why they show up in XPlugin Management of Unity3D, but Vuforia doesn't, do I still need Vuforia if AR Foundation is available, etc.

I am currently trying to do an Architectural AR project that Vufoira's area target seems to be the right path, but I can't even have its Area Target Test app installed to my android and get the scanned database shown there. (Followed the official guide but didn't help much, the folder they suggested is not functional).

There seems to be a lot to learn, but could someone tell me where to start? Thank you in advance!

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

AR Foundation and Vuforia are unrelated, and using both of them in a single app is unsupported and likely to cause errors.

We can't comment on the architecture of Vuforia, but AR Foundation is architected as a Unity package in C# that defines an AR API, and then various dependent packages called provider plug-ins can implement that API using platforms such as ARCore or ARKit. Unity supports provider plug-ins for ARCore, ARKit, and OpenXR.

See our Architecture page for more information.

KyryloKuzyk likes this.
  3. leoahum

leoahum

Thank you! Those are pretty helpful!

andyb-unity likes this.
  4. schirDev

schirDev

So Vuforia states that using booth is possible. But While trying to set this up my App always crashes, when a Vuforia Image Target is detected. You are saying this is not recommended to try from unity's perspective?

5. schirDev

schirDev

6. davidmo_unity

davidmo_unity

Unity Technologies

Vuforia is opaque and iirc they implement their own SLAM algorithms so there should be no contention for platform libraries, however it's not something we at Unity support or test so generally as far as we are concerned it's not a supported use-case and can result in undefined behavior.