Search Unity

TextMesh Pro What's the proper whay to deal with having different materials for same font?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by esteban16108, Mar 19, 2018.

1. esteban16108

esteban16108

I'm discovering many new things as I use TMP, one of them is that the material is the same for all the instances of the font used.

So my question is what's the proper way to handle, lets say, 2 different text objects with different effects on them using the same font with TMP?

Thanks.

eyupunity likes this.
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The answer is Material Presets. These are materials with different settings but all referencing the same font atlas texture.

Using material presets is very efficient and avoids resource duplication.

These are created using the material context menu.

upload_2018-3-18_23-3-9.png

See the following video which covers this topic.

3. esteban16108

esteban16108

4. Allan_RD3

Allan_RD3

Thanks! You helped me a lot!

5. mrchrissross

mrchrissross

Hello, while this works well the new material present is completely absent from the presets dropdown. This means whenever I wish to use the new present I must drag and drop it as a material. How do make this new preset appear?

upload_2022-3-17_10-7-34.png

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The new material preset must following a naming convention where the new preset must be prefix by the name of the font asset. For instance, if the font asset name is "LiberationSans SDF" then the material preset must be named something like "LiberationSans SDF - Whatever ...".

Andreman_, rDot-o, eyupunity and 2 others like this.
  7. doseon

doseon

hi @Stephan_B

But if you see a TextMeshPro object consisting of different presets in one UI screen, Batches goes up that much. Is there no problem with performance?