Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What's the fastest Unity version? (2017-2023)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodeSmile, Aug 30, 2023.

1. spiney199

spiney199

Anecdotally, I recently opened up 2019 to check some differences with newer versions after having been using primarily 2023.2 lately, and I was suprised at how glacial it was to use. It took longer to open a project, domain reloads were slower, the package manager was slow and was not yet non-blocking.

It matches up with CodeSmile's testing above. A fresh BiRP project in 2019.4 was taking around 5 seconds domain reload. My current big project on 2023.2 domain reloads in 1.8 seconds according to the data it outputs in the editor.log. Entering play mode is about 1 second.

This is on a i9 12900kf CPU and Unity and the project both operating on a Samsung 990 evo NVME drive, mind you. So very high-end hardware that I don't imagine the majority of folks using Unity will have.

So, again, anecdotally, new versions do seem to be getting faster.

PanthenEye and Ryiah like this.
  2. impheris

impheris

Man, that is weird i also recently opened a 2019 project, just 2 days ago to update the first game i made with unity to 2022 (a google play store thing that i needed to do) and i was surprised on how fast it opened, it was like nothing and i had like 1 year or more without opening that project, then i opened the project on 2022, with an almost perfect update (i think unity is good on that) and then i needed to close the project for the classic gradle bug and then again for the android sdk update and stuffs and everytime, on 2022 it was slower, not painfully slower because is a hypercassual game, but noticeably slower...
    BTW: i think 2019 was the best version of unity, after unity 5

vertexx and Unifikation like this.