Search Unity

what's the fast way to extend a clip as hold or repeat?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 23, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I just found that ease in control can be done with ctrl while dragging towards the clip, that's cool but how do I extend the clip in hold or repeat mode?

hold happens some times but not always o_O

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Not sure I completely understand....hold or repeat is dependent on the clip type. For animation track clips, the looping is either inherited from the settings on the clip, or set explicitly in the inspector.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

When I click drag the right edge of a clip to the right I get a hold, how do I get a repeat instead?

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Whether you get a hold, repeat, or neither is dependent on the clip type and/or settings on the clip. For animation clips, set the loop dropdown to 'On' in the inspector.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Got it, it's well hidden and requires context change so it's not the best (context change = go from one type of ui, the timeline, to another type of ui, the inspector)

here is what i suggest:
    drag the edge = hold
    shift+ drag the edge = loop
    the key modifier changes that setting

also not ideal: when the clip isn't selected the visual for the loops disappear, it is bad because you work on a clip and it looks a certain way then when it is not selected the visual changes, it's like having a geometry be flat shaded when selected and wireframe when not selected, only ok as an option we can have control on.

6. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Like a lot of your posts that's quite good feedback, thank you.

We've started to dip our toe in the water for having different modifiers. Different types of clips have different requirements, but I do like the suggestion here.

At the risk of speaking for our UX designers, my understanding of the selection changing the visual appearance was to reduce the visual clutter, as it can quite busy - but having that as an option certainly is good idea.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Cool.
    It'll help a lot.

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

another shortcut that will help is drag a clip with shift pressed = duplicate clip
    I think I've seen that used in either XSI or motion builder and it made life super easy

seant_unity likes this.