Search Unity

What's the best way to use Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Ludum Dare Style (L): Build Everything Yourself?

Asset Store Tycoon (A): Build the tools you need then sell them as you go?

Consumer (C): Buy all the things you need then string them together?

Or is there a sweat spot in the middle or is it project/team skills dependent?

Maybe we could add this to the Myers Briggs matrix for Unity Users are you more L, A or C?

That would put me in the INTPL category.

What approach have you taken and what experience have you had?

2. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Just make games, have fun and learn ;)

3. aer0ace

aer0ace

There's really no "best way" to use Unity. I am using Unity by starting with a game idea that I have, evaluating/purchasing any assets that will cut out any development time, then implementing the actual game.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

1. buy a thousand dollars worth of assets and use almost none of them.
    2. try Unity's built in stuff then realise that it's limited because you want uniqueness not cookie cutter.
    3. end up building it yourself anyway, because your game is not identical to all the other cookies.

That's not to say there aren't a few gems in unity and asset store, but over the years I've learned that if you want to a build a house, you're going to have to compromise and also accept that it's bloody hard work.

As for the right way, I'd love to see more performance guidelines from Unity, as that for me, dictates how we work. It's more important to us than our own workflows. Performance means more everything.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Martin_H, Ryiah, Ony and 3 others like this.
  5. Cepheid

Cepheid

The three options you presented there will all be based off of what the game/project is that you're making. If you were to go down the route of a short, sweet and simple arcade/mobile game, for example: Crossy Road, Procedural/Endless games. Option (L) would be a perfect fit.
    If you were to begin designing a much more intuitive game along the lines of say, Cities Skylines, Gang Beast or even a 3D RPG game. Option (A) would be perfect, as the tool-sets you will inevitably create for the project itself can and will help fund the project through it's extremely intensive development cycle.
    If you were to perhaps begin building an extremely advanced game, along the lines of Oddworld: New N' Tasty, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc. Option (C) may be inevitable as you may not have the time/funding to develop all of the tool-set's. Especially when there are so many polished and fully complete ones available.

In essence, it will become clear through your GDD and Technical Bible what route will be the best one to take. As much as the answer is a generic and common one it all comes down to the project at hand. You will in any project find yourself using more than option at any given time as your deadlines start creeping up and funding starts going south. So, plan your game, decide the best route in the long-term and base your project wide decisions based on these plans. But, it's important to remember not to shoehorn yourself into one and only one option as this will never go well for your project.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Building a tool for someone else would mean a lot more work than doing it specific for a personal task.
    You might end up investing yourself into perfecting and expanding your tool to meet other people's needs... and giving customer support, and not focusing in your game as much. If your time and resources are limited you might want as much focus in your game as possible.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Player7

Player7

...blind folded while on adderall with a daily ration of potato and vodka.. + the odd happy meal

8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You've made several posts lately that all seem to be related to challenges of game dev in Unity.

They could be just to get some general discussion going just for the heck of it but I can't help but to think there is some real underlying reason for them. Are you currently frustrated with some aspect of your game development? I mean is there something you're wrestling with trying to get done and looking for some proven ways of doing it in Unity?

If so then definitely make the post on it. I certainly don't have all of the answers (heck I just recently figured out that we really are supposed to plaster GameObjects all over our scenes to create hooks for tying data to it)... but I can try to think through it at least.

And others who are deep into the Unity Way can probably shed some light.

I'd see it as a great Unity Way learning opportunity for myself as well just to participate in such a thread.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Hit the "Make MMO" button while spinning around on your head and reciting the Norse Sagas backwards and consuming ten gallons of poitín.

hippocoder and Kiwasi like this.
  10. Ony

Ony

Spot on. I have two big games currently released and being worked on regularly. One of them, made with Unity 3, was released just about six years ago, and the other one, made with Unity 5, was released a year ago.

When we made the first game there was no Asset Store. Tons of stuff I had to put in had to be coded from scratch or found by digging around the web. Eventually I incorporated Mega-Fiers for morphing, but that's the only outside asset used in the game. Just this week I'm working on an update, still using Unity 3 Pro, and it's working nicely. The game is lean and fast and still does very well.

The second game, our most current one, uses Unity 5, plus a bunch of assets from the store. Like, a LOT of them. Plus my own code of course scattered all over. Pretty much every time I found myself thinking "oh this particular functionality would be so cool" I realized there was an asset to handle it, and I'd buy it. At first it was awesome, because I was blazing through, getting the core of the game done in record time. Now, cut to a year later when I'm working on updates, and let me just say... my next game (if there is one) will be using far fewer assets. The bloat (!) is one thing. The constant bugs\upgrading cascade is another. The feeling of not being in control is... frustrating.

So yeah, cutting to the chase, there are some super incredible assets out there that do some really wonderful things. It's very easy, though, to start just dragging and dropping someone else's work to put together a project, instead of using your full set of developer powers. There's a great feeling in doing it yourself, and I miss it, so this latest game was definitely a lesson learned.

Martin_H, Ryiah, aer0ace and 5 others like this.
unityunity