Search Unity

What's the best way to get started with a 2D tile base game with infinitely generating terrain?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by reppeti, Jul 27, 2021.

1. reppeti

reppeti

Hello!

So me any my friend have a simple game idea which we want to do. We are both programmers so we don't need programming tutorials.
    Could you please provide som guidance how we should start with our game?

The map would be simply grid based with perlin noise cliffs and caves (if possible).

We wan to make a topdown view 2D game with inifinte terrain generation. I can't seem to findy any tutorials about infinite 2D topdown world generation. Is there any tutorials I missed? If not, from what tutorials should I piece it together?

We would also like to include some biomes, what's the best way to do that?

Wish you all a nice day!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't know of any tutorials specifically about that. It seems to me the hardest part is the terrain generation — so you might try searching for tutorials on that, regardless of whether it has any mention of Unity. A lot of 2D tile-based stuff predates Unity (and for that matter, the game you're describing could be done very neatly in Mini Micro!).

Good luck with your project, it sounds like fun!

reppeti likes this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums!

If I were you (and I kind of am you, because I have a long-term ongoing project that's very similar in nature), I'd start with Sebastian Lague's fantastic Procedural Landmass Generation series. I know, I know... it's 3D. But the concept is the same, essentially: you'll use world coordinates along with a perlin noise generating algorithm to determine a point's elevation/biome/etc. Instead of creating the mesh, you can just insert a tile like I'm doing in the first link above (mine are 3D, but 2D would work exactly the same there).

A good piece of advice I can offer is that you'll oftentimes not be able to find a tutorial for exactly what you want to do. When that happens, just look for content that teaches some of what you want to do, and repeat until you've got all the topics covered!

Good luck!

JoeStrout and reppeti like this.