Search Unity

What's the best way to create simple 2D assets? (in the style of Prison Architect, Game Dev Tycoon)

Discussion in '2D' started by Deleted User, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

I know how to code and have some very basic experience regarding 3D, but I have no experience whatsoever in creating 2D assets for a game. But I want to get started. So, what's the hottest program currently to create simple "indy" 2D assets in the style of Prison Architect, Papers Please, Game Dev Tycoon etc. ?

I have zero experience with this. Obviously, I know that you need to draw a picture basically. But, you also need to animate it, so you need to have a program that creates a bunch of tweened frames and so on... What's the best thing on the market for this?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I use paint.net and save my images as png files, if i want animations I make a sprite sheet and create an animation in unity, alternatively you can animate the png file directly, paint.net has an animation plugin but i haven't tried it. You can also use photoshop if you have access to it, there are many tutorials on making animated images in photoshop. I find unity's animation system works well for what I use it for but if you want something simple like eyes that blink independant of an animator you might us an animated image.
    As for graphics that look like game dev tycoon you may want to try adobe illustrator

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
  3. BohdanKo

BohdanKo

I know it is old topic. But...
    If you want free alternative to photoshop you can use krita or gimp, and for illustrator - inkscape

ShockedCat likes this.
  4. CPTANT

CPTANT

I personally find Gimp and inkscape very clumsy for spriting. A lot of people use Aseprite. It contains everything you want for spriting and pixel animating without much of the bloat of more general programs. It is free if you compile it yourself or you can buy it for a one time $20.

5. romanmax07

romanmax07

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.