Search Unity

What's the best way to achieve antialiasing in VR (Oculus Rift S and Quest)

Discussion in 'VR' started by bmoodyP3, Jul 26, 2019.

1. bmoodyP3

bmoodyP3

Hi All,

I'm currently building a VR application for the Quest and Rift S.

However, I am having a hard time getting rid of jagged edges in my scene, especially with UI elements.

I have already tried:

1. Increasing the antialiasing settings in Project Settings / Quality / Rendering / Antialiasing. Antialiasing is currently set to 8X multi-sampling.
    2. Adding an antialiasing effect via Unity's postprocessing stack.
    3. In the UI's canvas scaler, setting the Dynamic Pixels Per Unit to a high number.

Do you have any other advice for achieving antialiasing in VR?

My understanding is that the Light Weight Render Pipeline can be good for rendering mobile VR games, such as for the Quest. Would switching to the LWRP at this point help solve this antialiasing issue? (I don't think they are connected but I figure it is worth asking.)

AlanMattano likes this.
  2. Skeketor23

Skeketor23

I'm also fighting with aliasing on the Quest. And I'm using LWRP. Don't think that it will help ;)

3. chakravarthye

chakravarthye

I am developing VR for oculus rift S. . . . . The biggest problem is the anti-aliasing.

I have tried these two options:
    1. CTAA from assetstore. This one works but produces an overall blurry output.
    2. Madgoat SSAA from assetstore: This one improves the output slightly but it brings down the performance considerably.

I am considering testing ont VR in unreal also to find out if is any better.

AlanMattano likes this.
  4. Elin42

Elin42

@Skeketor23
    Are you using the Oculus Integration from the asset store?
    When I try to use the oculus prefab I only got a black screen on the quest. But when using unity's XR rig everything is fine. The problem is, that I can't code and need the locomotion system from the oculus controller

5. enhawk

enhawk

Oculus recommend using 4x MSAA

GabrielMachadoGomes and dherault like this.
  6. AccentDave

AccentDave

Would you mind leading us through that? I've found several posts which say this, but all seem to be somewhat incomplete or out of date, and in any case assumes the developer is very savvy about all settings involved.

7. enhawk

enhawk

project settings > quality > Anti Aliasing

8. darkesco

darkesco

So does anti aliasing work on LWRP? I really like shader graph, but setting AA to off or 8X in the pipeline asset appears to have no change on Quest.

9. nomand

nomand

Tested both on URP and LWRP in 2019.2.12 and 2019.3, set AA to 4x in the Scriptable Pipeline file (according to Oculus developer portal). On the main center camera, turn MSAA settings to "use pipeline", go to OVRManager and uncheck the Antialiasing settings there to make sure that pipeline doesn't get overriden.
    make sure that your main camera is actually tagges as Main Camera.

SladeCU likes this.
  10. SladeCU

SladeCU

^ This works- going into the center camera and make sure MSAA says "Use Graphics Settings." After that, make sure you do what hawken mentioned above and go into Quality and change MSAA to 4x. If you don't, there should be a dialogue in the camera under the MSAA telling you that you need to change it in the quality settings. I set my quality to Medium and with the MSAA there were no "dancing lines" on hard edges anymore.

Context: I'm developing on Quest using Unity 2019.2.12f1 with 3D pipeline (not using LWRP).

11. saifshk17

saifshk17

I cant find the option to "uncheck the Antialiasing settings". I am using Unity 2019.2.13f1

12. SladeCU

SladeCU

These are where I found everything. Mine didn't say "Antialiasing settings" exactly, but these are the things I checked and unchecked in the OVRManager script and the center Camera OVRManager.JPG CameraSettings.jpg CameraSettings.jpg

13. saifshk17

saifshk17

I have followed the same settings but I still have the problem of flickering meshes. I am using LWRP.

14. netpost

netpost

I also have this problem but this is more obvious when my camera is moving , like slowly following a path. I can't get rid of this problem. My best option is to keep my camera steady which is kind of limiting and boring.

15. unity_llrz2EE34jZn-w

unity_llrz2EE34jZn-w

Hello,

I also tried the solution with pipeline, but the problem is when i built the game, there is no .exe file. What am i missing here?

Thanks

16. JoelLB

JoelLB

Build with as APK

17. MUGIK

MUGIK

I've tested several combinations and found the best one from a performance and visual perspective.

Set Anti Aliasing to 2x Multi Sampling
    And set
    Code (CSharp):
    1. XRSettings.eyeTextureResolutionScale = 1.5f;
    Unity 2019.4.14f1 with new Unity's XR module

UPD

I was wrong. Setting XRSettings.eyeTextureResolutionScale = 1.5f is too much. In my scenario, it takes all performance budget living me only with the nicely rendered scene, where I have no room for gameplay, lol.

So I do not upscale texture resolution at all. With MSAAx4 it looks... emmm... normal? Of course, it has noticeable pixels but that's a mobile VR headset, you can't expect from it more. I think players won't complain too much about pixels after they will plunge headlong into the game.

I also saw proposes to disable MSAA completely and only upscale eye texture by 1.5x, but they forgot that MSAA is hardware accelerated, so it's quite cheap for performance. While upscaling eye texture exponentially increases render time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  18. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

x4 and x8 there is no visible improvement and is not enough.
    wish the x32 option or upscaling image by 2.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  19. CosmicStud

CosmicStud

Using 4x MSAA definitely takes up about 20-30 percent of the GPU utilization for the quest. Which is very high! Anyone else experience that, tested with 2019, 2020, and 2021 with low settings... Anyone else? Bug? Just me? lol

20. djhatvr

djhatvr

Same

21. nagyhazi

nagyhazi

same problem,