Search Unity

What's the best visual scripting tool for a turn-based battle game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Darkvinter, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

Hello,
    I've been planning a 2D mobile game with a turn-based battle system similar to Pokemon, where you select an attack and there are many different effects via attack effects and skills that influence the turnout. Other main features of the game include allowing players to customize their characters with accessories and such, choose their moveset, increase their stats with items, and the characters having personalities and emotions that may affect gameplay. My intended platform is Android and iOS.

I've never coded a game before, so for my first game I've been looking at visual scripting assets such as uScript, PlayMaker, and Bolt and was wondering which of these can create the features I've described. If anyone has used one of these for a similar game, or is familiar with everything they can do, I'd appreciate some details before I commit to a license.

Thank you in advance.

2. Green11001

Green11001

Isnt visual scripting coming to unity some time later?

3. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

You mean as a standard built-in feature? I'm really new to unity and wouldn't know what they have planned but that would be awesome. I was just referring to these add-ons in the asset store for now.

4. Green11001

Green11001

ummm yea... although i havent done much research into it. Try a quick unity visual scripting search on google and skip past the asset store

5. 2020.1

6. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

Well that's cool, thanks for telling me about that. I just hope I can incorporate all of the features with it or I'm gonna have to start learning C#... which I will do anyway for backup.

7. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

I'm all ready to start programming and I'd rather not wait until then... so if that's true, my original question still stands.

8. Well, as a coder myself I would argue that visual scripting isn't programming by any stretch. I do not use visual scripting, so I may not be the best judge here, but I have heard good things about Bolt and PlayMaker is with us for forever as of now, so you can't really make mistake with either of them I think. They say Bolt 2 is in the works and it will capable of translating the graphs into real C# code, which is really good in terms of performance.

But again, I don't really use these things, I rather code myself in C# or if it really hard or long I buy a code asset instead and use it as a basis for my own solution.

9. Mauri

Mauri

PlayMaker was the first visual scripting tool ever available and it has been used to create Blizzard's Hearthstone game (see this case story). It's considered more battle tested than uScript or Bolt. Though, Bolt is quite nice...

In the end, you could achieve your goal with all of them.

10. Darkvinter

Darkvinter

By "programming" I just meant put the game together, but yeah, I understand they're not the same. I plan to look into C# in case there's something I can't do with PlayMaker/Bolt/whatever I decide to get.
    Thank you and Mauri for the info!