Search Unity

Whats the best network solution for P2P with matchmaking?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by starforce2005, Jan 9, 2019.

1. starforce2005

starforce2005

I'm new to network programming, my question seems noob, but i'm really lost and cannot find the right tutorial for my problem.

If i were to make a P2P(small project party game) multiplayer with matchmaking do i have to learn a network engine?

Most of tutorial avalible are for Unet which is discountinued(by the way are there tutorial still useful?), what are the alternitives?

And lastly if i learn to code in one network engine, will my code work in another? for example if code in a network engine like Unet, when i want to publish on steam, does it compatible with steam network?

By the way does P2P subject to CCU after the game has established?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're probably not going to get a lot of clicks on your thread because the "best" solution is not a question that can be answered by anyone but yourself. The best for me is not necessarily the best for you, because we're making different games with different requirements and the two of us have different skill sets and experiences. Also, the "best" would require anyone who answers to have tried all of them, but there are few people who have done so.

MrsPiggy likes this.
  3. starforce2005

starforce2005

I see your point,but you have to understand,for someone like me that lacks the knowledge not just how to do it,but even how to learn it,will have no choice but to ask a question like this to atleast find a direction to learn so that doesn't get lost in the sea of tutorial that i probably would never needed(resourse avalible on the internet is too much compare to the time an individual person had,so saving time and only learning the stuff i need would make sense right?),and i did try my best to provide as much information as possible for the question i asked (P2P matchmaking server only,small party game with very few player) to narrow it down :)

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm not saying there is a better way than asking, I'm just saying the specific question can't be answered by anyone, so I'd ask a different question instead.

5. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

You can use UDP multicast addresses to represent "lobbies," and query them in order for locally networked multiplayer "matchmaking" purely peer-to-peer. Try googling UDP multicast to get started, and don't overthink it.

Tyrmuzari likes this.
  6. giusti

giusti

It seems he is looking for any information on what people have tried with P2P. Maybe rephrase to "a good solution" instead of "the best solution". I am also looking for the same information. If anyone has any insight into beginner friendly P2P solutions with good tutorials I would love to hear your input. Some names I have read are Mirror, Openmatch, playfab, photon, aws, and spatialOS. I have never used any and don't know which ones are good for P2P.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I am currently trying out mirror and to be honest ... it was fairly simple to set it up and no coding was needed to get two players into the same game. but of course I now have to figure out how to tweak it to work exactly how i want and am already running into issues because i can't seem to find much documentation on it :-(
    My first issue is that when connecting p2p there seems to be s light blur/de-sync on the other players on screen and I've spent a few hours now trying to find a solution and ... nothing so far

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Are you familiar with client/server prediction?
    Did you read few thread, about networking comparisons, which are available on this forum?

Joe-Censored likes this.